Dixie Chopper Run Behind clutch pump belt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tennlawncare, Aug 22, 2006.

1. tennlawncare

tennlawncare LawnSite Member
    from memphis

i am trying to put the clutch pump belt on my run behind and i was wondering the easiest way to put it on. I have taken off the 2 idlers and loosened the tension spring and i am still having problems. (and yes it is the right size belt)

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to say but I work for a Dixie Dealer but have yet to see a Run-Behind up close and personal. But after looking at the parts break-down it doesn't look that difficult. I would suggest removing the spark plugs and install the belt on the crank pulley and the right hand hydro pump pulley, Then start the belt on the left hydro pump pulley and put a socket wrench on the crank pulley bolt and rotate the engine rolling the belt the rest of the way on.

This works for me on the "T" box belt on the ZTR's and will do no harm to the belt.

Oh.....Welcome to LawnSite.

3. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Now that young man knows how to get some grass cut :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Welcome to the site.

4. tennlawncare

tennlawncare LawnSite Member
    from memphis

i know how to cut some grass just not how to fix the danged mower! luckily ive got 2 mowers and i can afford a little down time

5. maa0808

maa0808 LawnSite Member
    from Ma

I have found on my two Runbehinds, that the pump belt fails when the engine to chasis bolts loosen and the motor creeps forward a 1/2 inch. this overtightens the belt and causes it to fail. Also with the engine forward, belt installation is near impossible. Moving the engine back allows belt installation without removing any idler pulleys. I find that when running double blades, the torque produced when engaging the clutch causes the engine to slide and the 5/16 engine bolts are too small and frequently loosen.

Hope this helps.