Dixie Chopper Run Behind Quality Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pondfishr, Mar 20, 2006.

1. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

Does anyone here have any experience with this machine? I am being offered a good deal from a dealer and am curious if it is worth the money. It seems that this machine MSRP last year was considerabley more than what it is today. With the Dixie WB I think I could save a little money and still get a pretty decent machine unless something is terribly wrong with it. Thanks in advance...

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have yet to see anyone in my use one of these. Those things look HUGE.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

They look huge but in reality they are about the same size and in some cases a little shorter than the competitor's units.

I haven't heard anything bad about the mower but them again I haven't heard anything good either. I did demo a 50" at my dealer but I didn't actually cut any grass with it. The controls were very smooth.

The RunBehind is a converted Silver Eagle. Dixie actually subs out the conversion to a small company located by the Dixie factory. They arrive at the small company complete except for the parts which would need to be changed out to make the RunBehind. A lot of car companies used to do this when making convertable cars so it's not unheard of.

The 50" Silver Eagle has gotten good reviews with no complaints about quality of cut.

I think the reason you don't see more of them is just because of the way they look. They are ungainly looking and if that's what is important to you then you shouldn't buy one. If you want a mower that earns it's money then buy it.

One of my dealers was at the factory recently and he said they have a bunch of RunBehinds waiting to be sold, several hunderd in fact. This would explain why the prices have come down this year.

4. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I love my silver eagle, and if the run behind is the same thing as a silver eagle then you'll love it! As Art Evans says "I don't make cheap equipment; but I'll make you one that is less expensive with quality and reliablilty still as the No. 1 priorities."

Dixie's cost more than competitors mowers, but ya get a good mower, with a good background, reputation, and great reliablity. That was enough for me to buy one.

I'm just a homeowner, so this silver eagle should last me a lifetime.

5. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Run Behind looks like a cluster f#&k!

I wouldn't use that ugly thing if it was the best mower on the market...which it isn't by any stretch.

You will see great prices on these units as they try to get rid of them but I would stay away.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought it gave a great cut until I dealt with leaves much easier to go back and forth with a ztr but the blade speed is definatly there. I got stuck tring to cross a small ditch because the platform is attached to low. The one I used was a proto and sucked gas bad. I ended up getting a stander and a qwik trak

rb1.jpg

rb4.jpg

rb5.jpg

rb6.jpg

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

And you're baseing your opinion of the mower's performance on...?

8. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't buy one for the simple reason that it weighs in at over 800 lbs. You should be able to get a 52 or 48 that comes in at well under 700. That extra weight will get you stuck, can cause ruts, and then the compaction factor is worse because of added lbs. It looks like a tank, but I'd never buy one.

9. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

No offense, but Art Evans can say all he wants, it is just a sales tactic is all. I mean what is he going to say " i build mowers that wont hold a hill, and i build mowers with bent decks". Art Evans should be a politician or an adviser with the way he spins things.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

HOMEOWNER, ha i wound not run one they will probally cut,not for me they are huge what all your competition running buy a mower you can resale who knows how long your dixie chopper dealer will be around.