Dixie Chopper Run Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quikcut, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Quikcut

Quikcut LawnSite Member

I'm shopping for 2 WBs a 36" and something larger from a 52" on up and I keep coming across what I consider good deals but always on stuff that I'm not familiar with. Today I came across a Dixie Chopper "Run Behind". It has a 27Hp Guardian engine that I know absolutely nothing about. Anyone familiar with these engines or Dixie Chopper in general. I've narrowed my 36" search down to a Ferris and will be picking it up tommorow. However my search for a larger WB seems to be ever increasing. I even came across a ZTR to throw in the mix. Here's what I've come across; All are Brand New
    A Great Dane 52" for 3000.00 (#1)
    A Lesco 52" 3500.00
    Dixie Chopper 52" for 3900.00
    Snapper Pro ZTR for 4900.00 (Not exactly sold on it because a lot of my props have hills but thats what the 36 is for)
    So I guess I have two questions.
    1.)Anyone familiar with the Run Behind/ Guardian engine?
    2.)Which one of the above mowers would you purchase?

2. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Quikcut,

I don't think you will find many guys who have experince with the Run Behind. However, the engine is the same as they use on the Silver Eagle. The only bad thing I have heard about the Generacs have been the fuel consumption. They are powerful engines but they like gas.

I haven't mowed with the Run Behind but I have driven it on a lot and at some shows. It is way more responsive to the controls than most walk behinds. This means it will take a little getting used to.

I can't speak for the other models you have listed. Sorry. I hope this helps.

3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Pick up the run behind, brand new those things are 5800

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

personally i would be more inclined to get the dane or lesco, i haven't heard too many good results from the dixie wb, so a search here and see for yourself

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a runbehind and hated it. I felt like I was going to fall off the velke the whole time. It has a kill switch similar to a jet ski where you have to clip it to your belt so iff you fall off the mower will die. I assume by having this kill switch that falling off the back has been an issue. Demo one before you buy, maybe you'll like it.

6. eclawn

eclawn LawnSite Member

If Your Getting A 36'' Ferris Why Not Get A Larger Ferris Also, Thier Dual Drive Hydros Are One Of The Best Walks Out There. If You Got A 52'' It Would Use The Same Blades And Some Other Parts Would Interchange Also.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

For a 36" look at the wright sentar sport. it gets great ratings on lawnsite.
    John

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris makes a great 61" DD, WB with a 23 hp Kawi. We have 5 of them.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Try the eXmark Turf Tracer. If I had the money I woould have gotten that instead of the Metro. But, that's great too.

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I recommend Toro for the WB.