Dixie Chopper Run Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fox Fire, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Fox Fire

Fox Fire LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Do any of you guys or gals use the dixie chopper run behind? How does it handle? does it handle o.k. on slopes? Would you reccomend it to anyone? The reason I ask, is because I have the chance to buy one at a decent price. Any input will really help.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've only demoed one but it was pretty easy to use. They have, however, been discontinued but parts will be available for some years to come. The RB is a converted Silver Eagle and Dixie has no plans to discontinue that for a long time.

The reason I didn't buy one was I wanted a 36" and at the time Dixie was talking about building one but have since changed their minds. Oh well...

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You should be able to get a fantastic deal on one. They never sold well. I would be surprised if they sold more then 15 or 20 of them nationwide. Some time back, a person went by the DC factory and said they had a huge, unsold inventory of those runbehinds at the plant. Probably still there, unless they sold them for scrap. An interesting machine, with no market to speak of.

4. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I believe they weigh in at somewhere around 800 lbs. Lots of weight for a w/b.

5. Richard Martin

There is/was plenty of market for them. It's basically a really fast 50" wb with a built-in sulky. The problem with them was they were exceedingly ugly and most people can't get over that. That and I think Dixie dropped the ball on marketing them and relied on their reputation to sell the mower. Didn't work.

6. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have one but wish I did. If you can find a DC runbehind buy it, There one of the easyest to operate. I dont have one but have used one. I know others my think there ugly but they will out mow any WD flat out. Its is said mowing with a Runbehind is easyer than pushing a shoping cart. I think they out sold many other 50" walkbehinds and there are a lot more than 20 nationwild. It was droped from DC sad to say but there runbehind was only one size and on the high end for price is there reason for low sailes. If you want plenty of power and something to not slide around on hills get a Dixie Chopper WD. You wont regret it.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Mr Martin. Does this mower look lower to you??

0107_LI_DixieChopper.jpg

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The name "Run Behind" was a bit of a marketing hype IMO to begin with...other than the fact it bombed.

9. Richard Martin

I guess it sounded better than Jog Behind. At 8 MPH you're not walking behind this mower.

10. Richard Martin

They may have lowered the seat again???

It's hard to tell from a photo since they can be altered. If you change the aspect ratio of the photo making it a little wider but not increasing the height the mower will appear to be shorter.

Dixie would have to completely revamp the frame to make them shorter because of the way they attach the wheels to the mower.