1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper Run Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.dixiechopper.info/runbehind_.php Does anyone have the scoop on this mower? I'm interested in height increments (is it like the DC riders 5/8 increments), Cost, has anyone seen it in action, etc.

I'm very interested in picking one of these up.
  2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

I saw it at EXPO. Ugly as hell, but seemed extremely manuverable. i saw a guy riding it and he seemed like a pro the first time he test drove it threw the course. I wish i would have road it but my buddies wanted to leave dixies demo area. :cry:
  3. Soupy

It is ugly, but it also looks like the best made walk behind on the market. It has all the features that walk behind mowers have been lacking in the past.

Does it Zero Turn?
  4. chris271

chris271 LawnSite Member

In my area, Dixie Choppers are king. Some people use Gravely and Arien (amongst a few other names) but the Choppers make up probably 40% of the market. This isn't meant to be a sales pitch. I don't own one. I'm not sure that I like them. They can be expensive. However, they are truly reliable and easy to work on. That was the whole premise to begin with.
  5. Soupy

chris271, Thanks for the reply, but I have a Dixie Chopper, So I don't need info on Dixie Chopper as a whole. I want to know about the Run Behind.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Their pricing is going to scare a lot of people away. The 50" has a MSRP of 6 grand or so. If you use walk-behinds for your main mowers then it isn't really that much money for what you get. If you only use a walk-behind for a trim mower then it's too high.

I was looking to buy a 36" Run Behind but Dixie is too preoccupied with building a 36" rider right now.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking to buy a 36" Run Behind but Dixie is too preoccupied with building a 36" rider right now.[/QUOTE]

Yes, thats the Dixie I wanna demo... I've been told ( by a Dixie rep?) that the 38" ZTR will have 20hp and one large 36" blade, kinda like a Bush hog.. anyone know about this?? When, When??

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Your are rite it is one ugly mower..................... i will stick with my Scag, at least it looks like a mower. :alien:
  9. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I am supposed to demo one by the end of this fall, I can't wait. That sucker may look a little ugly, but the features more than make up for it
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Call Larry or Doug at Wehner Mower 585-227-2160. This is where I saw it demoed, mention my name if you want it'll break the ice, I've bought all my equipment from them. --Roald