1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dixie chopper speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Gretzmier, May 20, 2001.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

ERIC and all you dixie chopper freaks- We are looking at buying a new city slicker chopper ( our first chopper) in a week or so, and the literature says this thing will mow at 8mph and transport at 10. what has slowed down these machines? I remember looking at chopper literature 2 years ago and they used to advertise 15mph as the top end on some and 13 on others. What gives? are they slower, different pumps? the only one listed as faster than 10 is the turbo diesel, and it is rated at 13. I know you can only mow as fast as the terrain and thickness of turf will allow, but have they slowed these things, or do they publish a slower speed for government regulation reasons?
    I also heard they have the maximum legal blade tip speed when leaving the factory is 19000 ft. per second. I assume that is at 3400-3600 rpm. what are you guys running as far as rpm on your machines, and does it mean your tip speed and graound speed are breaking some kind of safety law? what kind of ground speed will these things actuallly run/mow at, given a faster rpm? will it damage the engine to go over 3600, given all the stuff dixie puts on these things? will it damage the pumps or wheel motors? We are mowing close to 20 acres in this one subdivision that is pretty open, so maximum performance is what I'm going for.
    Also Eric and others- will the 25 horse 72" handle your double blade theory, and can you mow faster/better with it, or do you need more horsepower? in thick tall grass, do you have to take off one blade to not burn the belts? finally - tell me about the quality of cut compared to a grasshopper midmount . I've heard the dixie cut is a bit rougher. what do you guys do about bagging leaves? thanks in advance for the replies. Dave g :confused:
  2. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

As far as I knew Dixie Choppers would cut at 14 mph...might be wrong though.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I own a City Slicker. It will run and cut at 10mph when conditions are right. No it won't cut 24" tall overgrown grass at 10mph, maybe at 8 though. If all you intend to mow is overgrown then you would be better off going with the 2 20 hp model that will mow at 13-14 and never bog down. I use mine on a daily basis, it hasn't been put through anything yet it couldn't mow. I have my rpm's set at 3560 on this one with blades engaged, my 50" Flatlander mows at over 3800 rpms and hasn't hurt it a bit. As for a clean cut..........I haven't seen one do a better job yet either. If this property is going to be maintained regularly it will do the job without any problems. I raced a 60" Lazer and beat it from the start and pulled away from it. I mowed over 65,000 sq ft in 30 minutes last year and it was pretty rough terrain.

There might be better out there so I'm not gonna toot my horn too loud, I have been very pleased with mine and will buy another one when the need arises. It is most definately the ticket for hillsides too, I don't think it will turn over.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

There are better machines out there for your needs, but you are asking about Dixies so here goes. Dont know about current models, but my 97 Flatlander was clocked by my Moms digital speedo at 14-15 mph at 3790 rpm and 8 psi in the rear tires. On a select few lawns, I could cut full on. People used to stand and watch me! The flatlanders used smaller displacement wheel motors to get this speed. Bad for hills! The newer ones went with the larger displacement (slower) motors but upped the tire diameter and came out with 10 mph. Dont know much about the 13 figure, maybe ERIC knows the details. The diesels use different pumps.

As for the 25 powering the 72", you are, like Homer said, not going to go very fast in long grass. My 25 sometimes had trouble with 60"s. If you really want 72" go with the diesel or turbin' twin. There are other manufacturers that offer 72" gas powered and diesel machines, so make sure you persue all avenues.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dave,I habe a 2000 60" Dixie with a 25hp kohler,it does 10 mph.The 25 city slicker should be ok with 25,but like homer said,don expect to cut overgrown grass wide open.The slicker is probably your best bang for the buck,all things considered.As for cut,my 60 does good,but cant handle wet grass for long,and will plug up,and need to be cleaned if you mow in the wet.My RPM's are set to 3810-20 peak,but I only run it that high about 1/2 the time,I leave it at 3600 most of the time,where it burns less fuel,and seems happier/quieter.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

As far as I know, the fastest Chopper out there is the 72" with the 50hp diesel and the 72" with the twin engine at 15 mph. They slow down the City Slicker since it has a smaller motor and also the 26 hp Yanmar on the 72" is slower. Normal Choppers go 10 mph, but my diesel 60" has the 3" taller tires, so it goes 12 mph. The Flatlander goes 13 mph, but I'm not sure what the diesel Flatlander runs at. I can't keep up with all this.

I set my rpms at 3850 and I have for many years on the old Chopper. I only run them at full speed if I am in tall thick grass and need the extra rpm's. I run the rpm's at around 3600 to 3700 while mowing.

I think Homer answered your question on the 25 hp on a 72".
  7. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

How did you get your literature. I filled out the information request on the DC web page months ago...no response. I figure they must not want to sell their machines that bad.
  8. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Hmmmm...........Don't know JLC....... Dixie sent my literature a few weeks after I requested it on thier web site.
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I got my brochures at my dealer. They should have plenty of it there.
  10. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

The original Dixie Flatlanders went 15 MPH when they used the straight dump valves in the hydro pumps. When they went to the by-pass dump valves they lost a little speed but the steering was smoother. I'm not sure how fast my Flatlander diesel goes. It's quite a bit faster than the City Slicker diesel that I drove yesterday. I can get most any where in this small town in less than four minutes. I also didn't know how smooth the ride on a Dixie was until I demoed another brand zero turn yesterday. It was the roughest ride I ever had on a mower. I don't know how one could mow all day on a mower with a ride that rough.