Dixie Chopper tires

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Michigan Jason, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Michigan Jason

Michigan Jason LawnSite Member

hi, I'm new here. I have an old Dixie Chopper X2000 zero turn that I use for mowing my 3 acres. I have 20x10.00-8 Carlisle Turfmaster tires on it, but have not been happy. I slide down hills, even when the grass is dry! I have read that Dixies are known for sliding, but I am guessing some more aggressive tires would help. I found out that the mower originally had 22x11-8 Turfboss II tires on it which look more like a tractor tread, but cost about $100 each. About the only other tires I have found in the original size are ATV tires. I am guessing they would not be recommended for lawn use, but why not? Some of them are quite aggressive. There are a lot of tires avalable for the the 20x10x8 size, but thought the larger tires might handle better as well. What would you suggest?

Thanks!
    -Jason

2. Big Hoss

Big Hoss LawnSite Member

Check out Titan Tire's website , they just may have what you are looking for .

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. Michigan Jason

restrorob,

Have you actually used the amphibian tires? What kind of results did you have?

They look similar, but not OEM. Also, the dealer tells me that ATV sidewalls are much softer than OEM and that can cause problems due to how heavy these machines are compared with atv's. But then again, the dealer is in the market to sell OEM parts for mowers rather than sending folks to other tire stores!

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Thanks! -Jason

5. Restrorob

Well Jason, As you can see in my signature line I work for a Dixie Chopper dealer. It's like you said your dealer is trying to sell you factory tires. I have installed the same exact tires in the link on two full time Commercial User's units with no problem whats so ever. I even bought a set for my unit which is like this one http://www.ingersoll-inc.com/zero.html It weights in at 695 lbs. without the deck. You should have no problems with these tires they have a 3 ply rating unlike the 2 ply ATV tires, This company has them listed in the ATV section due to the thread pattern, My aftermarket catalogs have them listed in the mower section. Also only run the Dixie suggested air pressure of 8 lbs.
    It is up to you as to how much $ you want to spend.

Take care

6. Michigan Jason

restrorob,
    Thanks for the info!
    I saw on that site that they were listed for six wheel amphibious vehicles, which worried me a bit.

Any idea how they would do on snow?

This might be a stupid question, but... if I have 20x10-8's on now, will I need to get different rims for the 22x11-8's or won't it make much difference?

thanks!
    -Jason

7. Restrorob

Well For one, Living down here in the Sunshine State I have never seen real snow but with the tread pattern on these I would guess they would be better than a standard turf tire. Do you plan on mowing snow :confused: There would be no difference in rim size for these two tires, In fact my unit had 18x9.50-8 4 ply trailer tires on it and it road like a brick that was the reason for me putting these tires on. I dropped the air pressure like D.C's and it glides across my yard and I also gained a little more ground speed with the larger tires. :)