Dixie Chopper Turf Tire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by youcallwemow, Apr 9, 2007.

1. youcallwemow

youcallwemow LawnSite Member

Typically, what is the usual psi for the rear tires on a ZTR? I have a Dixie Chopper with their new tractor tread, and hate the way the tires tear up the ground where the grass is sparse. After almost 100 hours on it, and a year of getting acquainted with the machine and the way it operates, I still finding myself wondering if the grass tire that is typically found on ZTRs are better for leaving less impressions on the grass/ground? I'm a first time DC owner and enjoy the machine, but loathe the tires. Anyone had any experience with the new DC turf tire?
    SBR

2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

its not the tires its you,it dont matter what tire is on that mower with its vtc you have got to slow way down when turning.and a true zero turn is impossable without tearing up the turf.if you put regular turf tires on it it will TEAR THE TURF UP REAL BAD.oh and the psi in those tires is around 10 psi.

3. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Its sad to say but swaman is right. The drive tires on all ZTRs have a inherited problem of at best ruffing up the grass, making tire marks to completely leaving diverts. A deep divert is the worst because usually the grass can not recover from tearing and removal of the grass from its roots. But just tire marks and some loose grass will not usually be long lasting.

I think everyone that ever jumps on there first ZTR hydro will love it and zoom around and love there quickness and nimble versatility. But along with this great time saver come a small cost. Yes it takes time to learn how to turn and use the power to the drive wheels properly so not to destroy the yard you are trying to make look so good. The manufactures of ZTRs and tire makers have all worked on this issue for years and some tires may be better than others but is all washes out in the end to the operator.
    There is are turf tread, lug tread, wide tires, 2 ply, hard 4 and 6 ply tires, run low pressure, run max air presser you name. There is a reason and a place for each tire and its individual style and pressures for different types of terrain you will work under. such as hills slops different weights of the mowers. one for better ride and suspension and so on. So there is no one best tire out there for all applications.

A experienced operator will watch there tires and conditions of the turf and operate the machines accordingly. It a lot like the Arizona or Florida resident driving on ice and snow for the first time in Minnesota. After there crash they complain about not having a 4X4 or the tires must be bad. But not thinking of the slick conditions and there experience as the cause.

But be carefully some here refuse to think they are doing anything wrong and it must be the tire, machine brand, its to heavy its, to light, its just a peace of junk. But never consed to the fact that the operator is the only one controlling the mowing speed and the effect of the ground conditions will have.

One last point. I had a good friend take me to task over his Z will not tear up turf and would do much better on hill and slops than my DC. So we did a hill side and turn test. I wont give his makers, but its a well made machine and He had is point and saw that he could not control my big DC on a slop as well. But he was not use to the power I have and controlling that power in less than the best favorable conditions. He was over driving my DC to the point that we was making a mess of everything her mowed. So i jumped on his Z and it mowed fine but was lacking in that extra power that would force the machine into any ground braking conditions. A lot like the guy with a new Mustang GT compiling about how fast he wears out tires compared to his small 4 cylinder Chev he had.

4. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I'll have to agree that it is the opeator. I have a Scag wildcat, 52" and find if I try to do a "zero turn" say around a small tree , I tend to tear up the turf. I'm a homeowner, only have about 35 hours on the unit, so am still learning. I understand you need to keep both wheels turning, but honestly have trouble doing so. It's me, not the machine, so most of the time I make one pass then come back the other directiion doing partial close trims on each side, Works for me and is still must faster than doing the same with a lawn tractor.