1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dixie chopper vs. exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hagen, Aug 26, 2002.

1. hagen

hagen LawnSite Member
    from texas

i cant decide wether the dixie chopper with the two 20 horse kohler is better than the exmark 31 horse liquid cooled both with 72'' decks. the exmark is built really heavy i am having trouble deciding wether the dixie chopper is as relaible. of the two which one do yall think is the best overall
  2. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

I have never owned either so edit me right on off this subject but my opinion is I would rather keep one engine running than 2.

Al B
  3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice site you have or your wifes or 'yours and wife' or ???

What exactly is
    "provides that personal touch with a European Flair....." :D :D :D
  4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

A 20 hp Kohler would be under powered for a 72" deck. Go with more hp which ever you decide. I have the Lazer Z with a 23 hp LC Kaw and I would not want a 72 " deck 60" should be the max
    for a 20 to 25 hp engine. The Exmark seems to be a very dependable machine I have 1250 hrs with only 1 belt wearing out at 1000 hrs.
  5. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

I have to say that exmark is a good brand and Kawsaki has some good engines but I think Dixie has an awsome machine. If you are wanting power and not wanting to spend alot of money I would go with the XT3000 72' (I paid 8750 including trade-2001 Scag 27hp 61"); but wait till next year. They have some bugs to work out, just read my post (Having problems with DC(xt3000), What would you do) I tell you what though when that machine is running strong it has alot of power to go through tall grass. I hope I can get my probs solved though. I have a 41.4 horse yanmar diesel on one of my Dixie's and it will keep up with it except in really tall and thick grass. The xt3000 has a real fast ground speed, I like that because I mow some big properties and it is nice to go across the property to get where you need to be. Plus it cools you down on those hot days. I have a friend who mows alot of properties and he has a 99 twin engine and it is just as fast as my xt but it weighs alot more and cost more, Oh and don't forget about double maintenance and that clutch that cost 700 to replace. It's an awsome machine too I love hearing it. But I wouldn't have one beacuse of cost of operating it. Dc also has a 26efi 72" I haven't heard how it is doing though. Well I hope I helped a little I feel like I just babbled on. Good Luck.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A 20 HP would be seriously underpowered for a 72". Actually, Exmark doesn't even offer a 72" with anything less than 27 HP. For a 72" you can get the Liquid cooled Lazer with a 27 HP Kawi, 26 HP fuel injected Kohler on the EPS, 27 HP Diahatsu diesel or 31 Hp diahatsu gas on the XP. As you can see, 20 HP for a 72" would be ludacris. I don't know much about DC because we don't have any dealers around here, but from the sound of things going around here, DC is having a few problems with the XT. Good luck to you. I recommend Exmark. :cool:
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Guys, the chopper he is referring to has TWO 20hp Kohlers, not 1. I rode on that beast at Louisville, and its very fast. The controls are very smooth. But based on my experience with eXmark quality and support from the company I would continue to get eXmarks. They have proven themselves to me to be the best. The quality they give me allows me to give quality to my customers.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Oops...Sorry! Didn't notice the "two" in hagen's post. Sounds like that would mow pretty fast.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper's reliability is hard to beat (with the exception of Duncan's prototype XT3000) but Exmark's is too. 40 hp is more than 31 and should be able to power through anything. I would test drive them both and see which one I like given that the dealers are the same.
  10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

DC is now putting 23 kohlers together so you get 46 Hp rather than a whimpy 40 Hp. :D I personally am going to hold out til they combine the 26 efi (which DC claims they wont, but i think they ought to). Back to the question, a large company has 2 of the XXW 4000s and they love them. They can run them wide open and leave a Killer cut. Yet another company has one of the 4000s and they love it. They use it alot more than their XW2500s and they also get great results from theirs. All three units seem to age well and still run well. Good luck finding enogh work to keep it busy though.