Dixie Chopper vs Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hoosier Mower, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

Well it's time to get another unit and I was planning on a Dixie Chopper XW2500 until I got to take a good look at the Grasshopper mid mounts at the Expo. I went to the local Grasshopper dealer today and they are very sharp machines. I espically like the controls set up more than that of the Choppers and the price is about $1,500-2,000 cheaper. What are the down sides of the Grasshoppers? As always appreciate the feedback.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what type of Hydro Fluid the mid-mount Grasshoppers use, but my 725 G2 Grasshopper is required to use Grasshoppers own hydro fluid and it's $67 per gal, 2 gal needed. $16.75 per quart is a little high if you ask me. I just bought 2 gal of VTC oil from DC today to put in the hydro units on my Grasshopper. It's been a great machine but next time I'm gonna buy a DC.

3. dhicks

dhicks Member

I was looking at the Grasshoppers at Expo too. The one thing that made me walk away without a test drive was the deck. I'm no expert and my opinion is worth about nothing. But I thought the Grasshopper deck as compared to the D.C., Huster, eXmark did not look as durable. I guess try before you buy.

4. Really they are two different machines. I'm in Grasshopper country here.But I wouldnt give a plug nickel for them. There sturdy machines but there cut is terrible.Now the Dixie Chopper is by far the better of the two. Plus the chopper has a far better cut. You might want to take a look at the lazers or Ferris

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Well after going to the expo I will be getting the Hustler. But I would tell you to demo both the Dixie and Grasshopper. You may love one and hate the other. In demo'ing several around here, there are so many things you will notice as soon as you sit down on them. So go check them out and you will make the right choice!

6. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

a ferris ?????? after what i have heard about ferris mowers on here i wouldnt wipe my arse with a ferris if it was recycled into toilet paper - id do some researching on ferris before i made myself sound like i didnt know anything about what i was talking about - as far as grasshoppers comparing to dixie chompers - there is no comparison - dixie chompers are well noted as being the best of the best and have nothing but rave reviews - also most of the staff of lawnsite . com have them as their lawn mowers for their LCO.

7. WILSON BROS.

WILSON BROS. LawnSite Member

I to am in the heart of Grasshopper country. Everybody and their brothers dog has one. We have been on the 432 midmount Ghopper- I really like it except for fuel consumption. I will probably go with a diesel. Currently we are demoing a xwd2600 Dixie and really like it. It is a used machine the dealer loans to warranty customers, and we have put nearly 150hrs on it. We like it . I think both are very good machines. My problem is not with machines its with dealer service. When my new mower breaks (and all of them do) is my dealer 1.) Going to have parts.
    2.) Going to get me thes parts in a reasonable time. i.e. yesterday ha ha . 3.) If the dealer dosen't have the parts will he give me something to mow with. These things may not matter to some people , but this is how I make my living. If I've got a 10,000$ + paperweight, my lively hood is in jeopardy. I think the dealer is what make the mower the rest is just BS.

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

We live in a town that the local dealer has done a very good job whith keeping us running we us DIXIE CHOPPERS and are very pleased with the machines. however the other local dealer in town who sells grasshopper, woods, exmark and kubota really braged up the grasshopper. so we tested a unit for one week, and we were not really impressed! The grasshopper does not use the kiss system of keeping it simple. and whith the wet season that we have had here the machine does a lot of clumping.