Dixie Chopper WB22

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&J Customs, May 6, 2008.

1. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

Im needing a good 22" and not wanting to spend a great deal on it and i was doing a little research and i came across a Dixie Chopper WB22 starting at $499. It leads on as if it was a commercial grade, does anyone know the specs on these or even anything about them?

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Never heard of them Looks like you need to but=y a ztr. Or at least a commecial grade walk behind. A little low on cash then buy a used one. I would not even bother with dixie there are way better brands out there. toro exmark scag which is my favorite. Cut great and make a wide variety of mowers. Good luck

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

they look like junk.... Buy a Snapper.

4. J&J Customs

right now ztr is useless on my yards im mowing acre and below except one account where i mow 3 acres. plus im low on cash.... Dixie Chopper WB22 = $499... Snapper CRP2160KWV = $829

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Compare apples to apples. That Dixie does not have the FJ180V like the Snapper. It has either the Briggs 6hp or 6.5hp engine. Look at a Snapper with the 8.75 series Briggs (7hp). They sell right around the $500 IIRC.

6. J&J Customs

not bad im partial to briggs myself ive always had good luck with them im a little hesitant to try another brand

7. J&J Customs

so emailed dixie chopper and im not to impressed what i got in response, heres the actual email:

me: I was wondering if you could give me some specs on the WB22.
    dixie chopper national sales administrator: I really do not have much more then what is listed on the website…

so after reading that i then went back to the website and looked up and down for more info on it and pulled up the chart i had a million times before that only gives the engine size and deck size nothing at all about the mower. im wanting to know if its a self propelled or what and what the deck construction is like such as the guage of steel and if its side discharge or mulching or both.

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to sarlo's web site they are the one who make it for Dixie!

9. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Its really cool looking and it mows good! A guy at brought a craftsman push mower to the shop that he paid $500 for!! It had electric start woo hoo! I think the $499 is the manual, and the $599 is self propelled. The $499 looks alot better!! Right now if you buy a mower I think you can pick to get the push mower for free (among other options)

10. J&J Customs

k went to sarlo and one of their mowers looks like the wb22 and its specs are...
    Engine: Briggs & Stratton ; 2 year warranty
    Cutting Swath: 22"
    Classic Deck: 13 gauge steel, side discharge
    Front Wheels: 8" x 1.75" steel, ball-bearing
    Rear Wheels: 16" semi-pneumatic tires; ball bearing hub
    Mower Weight: 87 lbs.
    Shipping Weight: 99 lbs.
    Shipping Carton: 37.5" x 24.5" x 17"

what you think? id really like to have this with a mulch kit but maybe i can get a plug for it if i do go ahead and buy one