dixie chopper which one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contourbs, Apr 29, 2005.

1. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

i want one with around 52 inch deck and around 23 horse engine. only thing is i know nothing on these but see them everywhere. why the look cheap but i wanna give them a try since my toro dealer sucks

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Dixie's are a tough mower, but so are Hustler mowers. The only thing that I have against a Dixie is the high center of gravity which makes them easier to roll over than a Hustler.

I have used a lot of different ZTR's in the past and Dixie is a fine machine. But I don't think that there is a mower out there that is as capable as a Hustler.

3. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

if ya have a hustler dealer nearby, ya really should demo a hustler.

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto. I owned Dixie before owning Hustler and the Dixie can't touch a Hustler with mulch kit (or probably any mower with mulch kit) on leaves. If hills or leaf mulching is something you will never do then the Dixie is one heck of a mower. The Hustler is a little more comfortable in all conditions but the Dixie does cut great and is very reliable and easy to work on.

Just so you know, I am not slamming Dixie, but some don't realize it has no mulching capabilities. Don't be fooled by the sales pitch that the OCDC mulches. It does nothing but block the discharge shoot. I have one on my Hustler and couldn't live without one, but it doesn't turn a mower into a mulching mower.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How much smaller would you like the leaves?

leafdust.JPG

6. Soupy

Smaller then that. plus I don't want windrows of them either. I remember back in the day having to cut backward with the Dixie Chopper and make multiple passes just to mulch them up decent enough. The Hustlers do the job in one pass and they are gone. You would think we raked them up. Really thick (like 6") might take a couple of passes, but there really isn't no comparison.

I like Dixie Chopper but I wanted to point out the couple of flaws it has. The pro's are better cutting in wet grass especially with Turf Boss tires (no mud packing the tires) and ease of maintenance. The deck is very easy to level too. The everyday cutting quality is great too, but so are many others. I choose better hill stability, lower profile and more comfortable ride (including smoother hydro steering), better mulching capabilities (Dixie does not have any true mulching capabilities, any mower will cut the leaves up if a ocdc is installed, but it isn't the same), and a cut quality that is on par with Exmark, Dixie and other great mowers.

A lot of these difference are user preference. So the best thing for anyone to do is Demo, Demo, Demo..

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You should look at the Dixie Chopper Coatsville Classic. It is a 50" cut with a 25 hp Kohler engine. There is nothing cheap about a Dixie. From the stainless steel body panels to the patented Quad Loop Steering they are well built from the ground up.

8. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Dixie addressed the center of gravity issue with the Silver Eagle. I would look at the Silver Eagle 50". It comes with the 24hp Generac (which is actually closer to 27hp). It drives and handles great.

9. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 72" dixie and after using a hustler I have to say they do have the best hydos I have used other then the dixie. The dixies hydros (VTC) are even smoother and more responsive. BTW, you say that the ride is better on a hustler. Umm, NO, anyone who has ridden on a dixie with turf boss tires know they are the smoothest in the industry. Even Ferris has a rougher ride then a dixie on turf boss tires.

10. Soupy

I'm sorry I meant smooth hydro's My Dixie Chopper was jerky and to responsive. Like I said it is preference and nothing more. The other part I meant it is more comfortable to drive. The Dixie felt weird sitting so high especially on hills. In Dixie's defense My Hustler has a suspension seat and my Dixie didn't. But even my Hustler without a suspension seat felt more comfortable (not smoother). I do agree the turf boss tires are the bomb. I have said over and over I wish I could fit a pair on my Hustler.

All and all Dixie Chopper is an awesome mower if you don't need mulching capabilities and you are comfortable cutting hills with it (I cut plenty of hills with mine). Mine still cranked over instantly with no choke after 2000 hours. I sold it for $2,000 after it sat in my garage for a year getting in the way. I'm on my second Hustler since that mower.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a debate. I just wanted to point out that it does not mulch. I was told it did back when I didn't know better and believed them. The guy said this thing here (pointing to the OCDC) will shred leaves to nothing. I thought he meant the holes in it would dice them some how. I didn't realize the OCDC does nothing but block the discharge opening (which in itself is awesome, but does not mulch).