Dixie Chopper wing mower pictures?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I know that Dixie Chopper made a pull type offset wing mower for a few years but have never seen a picture of one or even found the specs on one. I have contacted the company trying to find any info and they didn't care to help me on the subject.

2. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a page from a 2001 Dixie Chopper product brochure. There were no specs listed. My guess is that the engine was a 20hp Kohler Command.

Dixie Chopper Pup 2001(1).jpg

3. Tinkerer

Is there a separate brochure for that mower or was that in the 2001 Dixie Chopper line brochure?

4. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

If tis being pulled directly behind the zero turn isn't it just cutting the same swath as the mower pulling it.

5. Tinkerer

I'm sure the hitch is adjustable just like they are on Swisher and Kunze pull type mowers.

6. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I asked a question about the tow bar being raised between the mowers but realized what the answer was as soon as I hit "submit"....so, never mind. :)

7. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

There was a PDF file in DC manuals of years back, I think it is gone now. If I remember right some of the earlier "PUP" used the hydraulic pressure from the right side hydro pump to the right wheel motor to control the Pup offset. The later ones may use a 12v motor to control the offset, not sure. See the black arm on top of the high tongue, this would swing the pup to its offset after each turn. Basically once you started to turn the pup would begin trailing direct behind. This would eliminate any skipped cut spots. Along with the overhead tongue it was quit a design. I never had one but wish I had one.

8. weve

9. weve

The page that I posted was from a brochure of the entire product line for Dixie Chopper for 2001.

10. Tinkerer

I'm surprised its a 72" cut. Turf-aire is the only other 72" pull type mower I have found.