Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn DOG, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to buy a Dixie Chopper this week. I can not decide between the XW2400 w/Honda 24hp or the XW2500 w/Kohler 25hp. Please let me know what you guys think.

2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'll answer this before Eric gets to you. In my opinion I'd get the Kohler. They did have some problems with head gaskets on the 25, but that problem has been fixed. If you get the Honda, you'll sacrifice the donaldson air filter and the amsoil oil filter. I've got seven Kohler engines and have had a problem with only one(head gasket)which was fixed under warranty. Don't get me wrong, Honda makes a great engine, but for my money I'll stay with Kohler...........Lynn

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2000 Dixie 60",and a 25Hp kohler.If I had it to do over,Id get anything but the kohler.Mine is the updated motor,and overall I do not think this engine delivers the power necessary for this machine.Dont buy a 25 without trying a smaller engine,I think you'll find the 25hp rating is optimistic,I feel the 25 Kohler puts an honest 20-22Hp out-thats it.I know a guy with a 2001 XW2500,and a 98 xw2000-he says his 20hp has more power than the new machine.Side by side the 25 hp bogs first.Both the 23hp Kawi and the 24 honda should easily outperform the 25 kohler.Other than lack of performance,you'll have intermittent,erratic lifter ticks to deal with,and hard starting in cold weather.The nice thing about kohlers is parts,and new engines are on every dealers shelves around here.If you dont mind,head gaskets,ticking,low power,backfiring,and hard staring-go for it.

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

lessee- ERIC is getting the honda...he's HAD the kohler... dave g

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 25 hp Kohler on mine and the lifters have only made noise once. I brought the mower home and changed out 10w30 Mobil 1 and put in a non-sythetic oil and I haven't heard the ticking since. If you let the engine run for a minute at idle after using it it won't backfire. This holds true for a lot of engines. The head gasket problems have been fixed, no need to worry about that. And as Gorrell pointed out the Kohler is the only engine in Dixie's lineup that comes with all of the engine life extending features.

6. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

After reading some of your post, I am still a little confused but think I will go with the XW2500. I have one more question. What is a good price to pay for this model?
    Thanks Again and look forward to hearing what you guys/gals think.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Around $8700 is a good price on the XW2500, but it could be up to around $9000, depending on the dealer, from what I've heard about the Eastern dealers. They are more here for some reason. :(

8. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 Kohler 2200s and have had very good service out of them. I bought the 2400 Honda this spring and it blows the Kohlers away. I like them both but will definately buy another Honda. I hope they add the additional air and oil filtration systems to the Hondas soon. As far as price, my XW2400-60 was $8100.00