dixie chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by odin, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Im considering a chopper we have a dealer in frantfort ill.
    what models should i look at.
    Ive just had enough of turf tiger.another wheel motor went out
    so im getting rid of it.I hope the chopper will be a better machine
    no more scagg ztr for me

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Which model you look at depends on the size of lawns you do. I like the 60" for what I do. They have a XW2303 which is the painted model 60" with a 23 Kohler, OCDC, the better seat and a Donaldson Turbo air filter.

The XW2500 is the stainless steel model with the OCDC, Donaldson, good seat, Coolers, and an Amsoil bypass filter.

The Honda engine is another option but it doesn't have the Amsoil filter or Donaldson Turbo air filter.

If you like diesel, I like mine so far, but it is a bit heavier. The gas models are about 950 lbs. and the diesel is around 1200 lbs.

I'm not sure what part of Chicago you are in, but there is a dealer in Crystal Lake too. I hope this helps.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

OdinOO - check out their trimming (flex-deck) setup. (60" main deck + 18" flexible addition)

4. Thanks mowing dentist for flex deck tip it sounds likea good innovation
    My brothers and i are all partners so we all are gonna go to the chopper dealer on monday
    cant wait to get a good look at these machines
    thanks for tip

5. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing Dentist,
    The flex deck isn't your product by any chance is it. If I'm not mistaken the flex deck company is owned by a dentist in Iowa. If I'm wrong sorry but if I'm right please don't advertise your product on this site. That is what the paid banners are for at the top.

mowingmachine

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

ouch!

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Eric, in fact monday I am going to email some pictures and let your people do the banner - I don't think the other ones are getting done very fast. It seems the people on these chat lines represent a nice cross section of the mowing industry, and have had a lot of experience doing what they do. For me it would appear that this site may be one of the better places to introduce any product involved in the lawn care industry.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The problem i have with the astro turf,is that the rear of it isnt secured,if you hop on the machine,wet or facing down hill,the rug will slide out from under you,you go down,or pull something trying to stand up,this hurts,big time.Ive had it happen 3 times since i bought mine,Im going to bolt the rear of the astro turf down soon.The height adjustment is terible IMO,I have no problems with the foot lift,it worked fine after i took off the little bracket that kept falling over the ratchet.The incriments are to far apart,simple as that.I have mine set to 2 1/2",now thats the lowest I mow in the spring,and fall.One notch up is 3 1/8,that is good for summer,but if the grass is reall thick,i raise it again,its now 3 3/4",this is too high about 1/2 of the time,Id like a 2 3/4"-to 3" setting,a 3 1/4,and a 3 1/2" in addition to what I have now.Right now Id like to drop my height to 3",but i cant,gotta go to 2 1/2",or 3 1/8.It doesnt look like it would be very hard to redesign the sprockets with finer teeth to get the incriments at least to 1/2",the 5/8 it has now is just to far apart.I could care less about the heights below 2 1/2",or above 3 3/4,I dont use them.But within that range it would be nice to have a few setting to choose from,instead of the one i have now in the summer.If i need a diferent height now,I have to add 1/4" spacers under the blades to get it,this is a PITA.Then i have to mow everything at that different height,or change the spacers on the road.

10. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,
    I guess I thought there was a difference between buying banner time and promoting your product within the forum. I haven't seen any other paid advertiser promoting their product in the forum yet. Just seems kinda unfair for all the other manufactures out there that have paid to advertise on this site. Not trying to cause any problems just calling it like I see it.

mowingmachine