Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pro-Lawn, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

Just ordered my Dixie Chopper today, turning in the Lazer Z for the Chop. I hope it performs as well as what i think its going to. If you do the double blade, do you really need to drape the chains, to get a good stripe out of this Unit ??

Eric Goodwin
    Pro-LawnCare.com

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

No you do not need the chains to get a good stripe,single or double blades dont make much of a difference as far as striping goes,you do not need the striping chains,they do help a tiny bit, though.I can hardly tell the difference with my striping kit.

3. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

ok maybe a dumb question but........are dixon and dixie chopper made by the same company???

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

NO

5. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

We did just the opposite. Traded the choppers for lazers.

6. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

Dixie stripes way better than the LAZERs . why would you switch??

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Pro-Lawn,
    Striping isn't the big picture here. I have never had a mower that didn't stripe. All the way back to my 1968 Cub Cadet 125, I laid stripes back then just fine.

Factory support, cut quality, build quality, and the overall quality of engineering are what seperates todays mowers.

I'm with LeoS818, I traded a Chopper and moved UP to a Lazer. There are many views as to comparing these two machines. I personally think they are both decent machines, but it was like night and day coming from a Chopper to my Lazer.

Reasons...

Excellent Cut quality.
    Superior Design.
    Fit and finish.
    Modern overall design (not circa 1985)
    Engineering (overall).
    1/4" deck height of cut changes.
    Foot lift returns deck back to set height properly.
    Better Deck to tire trim offset.
    Dampened control levers.
    Fully padded control levers.
    Smooth front caster tires (ribs tear when they swivel).
    Mobil-1 Hydro fluid.
    Front trim ability (no bumper in the way!)
    Greasless spindles.
    Bushings or machined housings on all moving parts (not just welded D rings to wear out!)
    Safer, functional Operator presence controls.
    Electric PTO clutch.
    Way larger fuel capacity (6 vs. 11 gal)
    No more indoor/outdoor carpet!!!

These are just some of the strong parts that steered me from Choppers to Lazer. Other things included hydro pump/motor failure, T-box seal, Kohler 25hp (Not Chopper related).

Overall, like I said, there is nothing deadly wrong with Choppers, just that I feel the better machine is the Lazer.

Will I ever go back to Dixie?
    In a few years when its time to trade in the Lazer, I'll look at ALL mowers that have a local good dealership. If Dixie does some drastic changes in the above areas, I may consider them again. Until then, its Lazer for me!

8. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

Hey , they all sound like good points. I guess i will halft to run Dixie for a while to find out if i should go back to exmark. Not sure , like you said , they are both good mowers. Guess it was time for me to change. Got tired of BIG RED. hehe Hey have a good one this year. Good luck to everyone.

Eric Goodwin
    Pro-LawnCare.com

9. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Thanks TLS. Stripes are not important to me. I think the best looking lawns are the ones that you cant see that a mower has been on them. I mow a lot of hilly places. Havent put a lot of hours on the Lazers yet , but they feel more stable on the hillsides. Not only larger fuel tanks, they seem to use less fuel per hour. 25hp kolher vs 27 hp water cooled kaw. Alunimun housing on the spindles. Alunimun removes the heat better than cast. True the cast is stronger. The bearings in our choppers were sealed anyway. Dont really think that greasing them did much good. Much better mulching system on the lazers. I do miss the Boss II tires. The choppers were good machines. Both are great machines. But I do think weve made a set up.

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

News Flash ;)

2002 60" Choppers hold 10 gallons.
    2002 72" Choppers hold 14 gallons.