Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kyle Carter, May 27, 2002.

1. Kyle Carter

Kyle Carter LawnSite Member

I have a 60zt. I have been having problems when turning. It seems I scalp the grass. Not severe but noticable. Any suggestions.

2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Check your tires to make sure that they are inflated properly and then check to make sure the deck is alligned properly (both sides on the front are the same height and both sides on the back are the same height, the front of the deck should be 1/4 lower than the back)

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You might also want to make sure that you are using an accurate tire guage. Being off by only 1 pound can make a difference when you are only using between 5 and 7 pounds of air.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper front lift chains are only 12-14" apart! This was always one of my gripes about them. The deck seems to teeter totter (Term used incase somebody in the future searches for "Teeter Totter"!!! :D ) from side to side more than most mowers.

Tire pressure is important on ALL mowers, but REALLY important on DC's, as what Richard Martin said, a pound of air makes a real uneven cut!

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Kyle Carter...here is a bulletin from dixie to fix this problem.

i will email you a copy, it is in pdf. format...well i guess i won't email you a copy, you don't accect email....if you want a copy email me sales@rpm-co.com

Bulletin from Dixie chopper about deck teetering

Bulletin Number: 010702

Models Affected: ALL

Reason For Change: The deck teeters from side to side.

Description Of Change: A shim bushing is placed on the pin at the rear of the deck.

Procedure For Change:

Determine which pin is loose.
    Remove the hairpin clip from the pin.
    There are three
    sizes of the bushing.
    Start with the thinnest walled (Part # 97136).
    If the pin is still
    loose, use one of the thicker walled bushings (Part # 97137 med. thickness or
    Part # 97138 thickest) until the teetering stops.

Tools Required: Pliers for pulling the hairpin clip.