Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darb, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

I wanted to know the true scoop about Dixie Choppers. The sales people always tell you the positives, but I wanted info from the real world.
    Thanks,
    Darb

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

good thing u asked ,them things ,not worth a darn.:D :D :D .
    just kidding ,no first hand experience.
    but if u got good dealer support ,dixie has a good rep among the pros .
    and a machine with a good rep among the pros ,is a good machine.
    be sure and let the dealer know if u doing hilly terrain,as the word is the flat lander is more just that ,a flat terrain
    mower. if they see this theres fellas here can help u more.just cuttin up..:)

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Darb,

As a FORMER owner of a Dixie Chopper (over 3 seasons) I may be able to shed some light for you.

First off, they are just as good as other brand ZTR's. They are all basically the same. Its almost got a cult like following. Kinda a "Hey, lets stick up for this little Mom and Pop company". Believe me, I had Dixie Chopper in my blood! I even named my Cat "Dixie"!!! Soon after, I noticed other mowers that really improved themselves since I bought the DC, while DC really hadn't made any improvements.

Sure, they look neato, all business, with coolers and filters, and high top speeds, but underneath all the hype is a 1980's design in a 2003 era.

Like I said before, they are great mowers! There are only small differences here and there between the top 4 ZTR's. If your dealer is local, and competent, and really pushes a lot of DC's, then thats what I'd go for. On the other hand, if there's another dealer nearby and competent, and pushes a lot of Exmark Lazer Z's, then THATS what I'd go for :D

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

no personal exp. here but if you do a search you will be reading till the '04's come out.

5. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

What are the "top 4 ZTRs"? Or the top ZTRs if they can't be narrowed down? I figured they are (not in any order) Toro, Exmark, Scag (What a name!). This is where I make people angry by not putting their favorite down.

Darb

6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie Choppers are the most expensive --- I suggest that you find out why for yourself. You will find people here that put them down --- find out for yourself. Go try one, but do it AFTER you demo the other choices. If you are going to spend that much money you will no doubt want to test them all anyway.

7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The hustler super z should be on that list for sure and in my opinion it should be on the top of that list. Scag and toro are a notch below exmark and hustler.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Here I go again - I will just say that the Dixie Chopper has a Factory available Flex-Deck. This gives you a 78" cut and on a ZTR, it makes inside corners and a lot of contour mowing a snap. They make one specifically for their mowers thru a license agreement with me - We now have a reverse agreement that allows me to mount decks that I make on other ZTR's.

[​IMG]

dixie flexed up - best.jpg

9. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Flex-deck should have to pay us all for pain and suffering due to the constant views of LGF.

10. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Likestomow
    ......wrong!!! DynaMow and Lastecs are the most expensive, then Walkers......

Dixie is very competitive in pricing!!

Dixies are great machines, it'll be a personal preference decision....demo-demo-demo

there are a lot of great machines on the market today, and Dixie is in the top 5.....

good luck