1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowforMoney, Sep 12, 2004.

1. MowforMoney

MowforMoney LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone uses a dixie chopper silver eagle. I realize that it was built for homeowners, and I would like to know the diffrences. I already have one dixie Chopper, but not a silver eagle. I want to get another one and was just looking into the silver eagles. I won't use it that much I just have 6 or 7 yards that I would use it for. Otherwise I will just use my current dixie and have my employee do the trimming lol.
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

For 6 or 7 yards I think the Silver Eagle would suit you just fine. They are still really solid built machines, the main difference is that they use a clutch PTO instead of a belt driven PTO.
  3. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a silver eagle, it does a great job,20 lawns a week all summer and no problems. I feel it is a good mower,cuts nice, fast,smooth,plenty of power,I rarely have problems with it clumping and it will hold a 28* hill.

If you what i have pics i can post.
  4. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

20 degree hill eh? id have to see it to believe it
  5. Eric 1

Come on down, I will show you.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, he said 28 degree hill. I have a XW2500 60" and it starts to slide at just under 20 degees. My maximum comfort level is about 17.5 degrees. I have to be a little more careful than most though. There are serious hazards at the bottom of my hills.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Get yourself a 4 foot level and a tape. Take it to the steepest hill you do and level the level with one end on the ground. Take the tape and measure how far it is from the ground to the bottom of the level at the other end. Then come back and tell me how many inches it is and I will tell you how many degrees it is.
  8. Eric 1

Look, I meant 20 not 28, just hit the wrong button. I have an angle finder, like what they use on construction, I parked the mower on the steepest hill i mow then set the gage on it. It said 20*

If you dont believe me, oh well.

So lets not start a flame war, ok. :angel:
  9. Eric 1

Just out of curiosity, what is the formula for that?
  10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

hey im selling my dixie. its an lx2001 quadloop. 50". new valves, pistons, crankshaft, flywheel, rectifier, and stator, and some other goodies.

if your intrested pm me :)