Dixie Choppers Anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SMOOTHCUT, Dec 23, 2006.

1. SMOOTHCUT

SMOOTHCUT LawnSite Member

I haven't been on in a while cause of a regular job-plant shift work for 28 years. Retiring Dec 31st 2006. Starting business this spring. Live in an area with about 100,000 people. Just bought all new equipment, Dixie Chopper 50", open trailer with all the extras, Echo power tools. I was wondering why I haven't seen much about DC. They are popular in our area with an excellent dealer. No one around here has had any problems or compaints. Just wondering why and trying to get aqainted with everyone cause I hope to be on the sight more since I am retiring to go to work. HA! HA! Thanks guys and gals, happy to be a part of the "upper group"

Brett Duhon
    Lake Charles, LA

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Welcome back and good luck out there. I've notice the lack of talk about dixies too. I'm waiting for the calandar to change then I'm buying a 60" extreme. I have a 60" lazer 27 lc now and want to add the dixie for the larger propertys and some of the steaper hills that I have.

3. bglover

bglover LawnSite Member

A friend has owned a Dixie Chopper w/ 60" deck 23hp Kaw. about 4 years (900hrs.). He basically uses it on one large church property and his own. It's had a few minor issues, but overall a good unit. He liked it well enough to buy another one this year - same deck size although with the 31 hp Generac. Kept the older one and added a bagger to it for a dedicated leaf machine.

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We bought our 4th Dixie Chopper this month, XT-3300 60". Planning on getting another one next month. No complaints.

We have a XT-3200 72" for sale.

5. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I've been using Dixie Chopper mowers since 1993. I'm currently using a 60" model with the Yanmar 35.5 hp engine. This is one nice engine!

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

A guy around here has two 60" Dixies for his large properties. I asked him how he like them and he said they were great machines with no problems since he bought them 3 yrs ago.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Have to agree 100% on how great the Yanmar is - That's all I have run since 1988 - They do not give up. (Run The Large JD Garden tractors)

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You don't see many threads about DCs because usually when there is one the boo-birds usually tear into them for unjustified reasons. "They're too ugly" or "they're dated and too complicated"???

I'm on my second Dixie and have had almost ZERO problems to date.

9. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

you say you are buying it because of large hills, that is one thing i have found that it wants to slide on hills, of course I'm not sure how steep you are talking. I also cant really compare to any other Z on hills because the dixie I have it the only Z i have owned. My only other problem is that the grass seems to clump when it is lush, everyone says to go over it a second time, but when you are mowing 5 acres, i dont want to do that twice. All and all i do like the machine though.

10. SMOOTHCUT

SMOOTHCUT LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the encouraging input cause there are so many to pick from. I chose DC first off because a friend of mine bought one and his reason was if there was work to be done that it looked easy to access everything. Any of you out there had any trouble with Generac engines? Mine has the 25 hp. Seems to run strong.
    Smoothcut