1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Choppers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GameDawg33, Aug 14, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Richard Martin, I hope you can tell by my comments on Dixies that I have alot of respect for them. Probably the only Mowers that can mow 13-15 MPH in almost any conditions. I'm not knocking the quality, anyone knows a manual clutch will outlast and electric, stainless tanks last forever, good pumps, wheel motors etc. Generac still hasn't impressed me(due to rumors of fuel use and parts availability which may not be true) though but I'm aware you can get a smaller Kohler on them. I think they are great mowers but just the design throws alot of people like my self. Built mostly for function and no doubt they are. Make a more modern streamlined look, Suspension seat (which is the norm on a HP machine these days), and I'm interested. No hard feeling but I'm not the only one that feels this way. They did win the Ugly poll with Grasshopper in second. Even Harley Davidson is coming out with some modern looking bikes. Great mower, like I said I have lots of respect for them even if I don't like the stying.
  2. tacoma200

I kinda told Dixie which was a sponser on another site what I thought one time and I got jumped on pretty good. Just trying to tell them what changes would help them sell more Dixies and they took my comments seriously but in the end they said "some guys just don't get it" which was true. Kinda like Walker another great mower that dances to thier own beat and doesn't try to fit the mold.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Tacoma, it's all good. Have you seen Dixie's Silver Eagle? Great looking mower with tons of features including an electric clutch. Sorry, no suspension seat.
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

the generac engine was used as a replacment for the kawajunkie.so mnay of those engines went down at 700-800hr and kaw said that was ok and would not warranty them but dc picked up the tab anyway.i think in the last three years we have filed 3 warranty on those gen engines.you can get a short block for the gen the kawajunkie you have to buy a whole new engine makes better cents$. as far as no one else useing them? they cost more and all parts come from dc no problems at all.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I am phasing out my Dixie Choppers. I have two now. I used to own a Generac nightmare, but I sold it. It blew the engine twice, one hydro pump failed, and sucked twice as much gas as our kholer 28 efi motors. I feel like Dixie Choppers just aren't tough enough for a crew. I think they are fine for owner operators, but not for the amigos. Their deck settings are horrible. No 1/4" increments like everybody else, and who knows what height you actually cutting at. The hydraulics are too sensitive. They are almost dangerous. I have flipped a Dixie on a hill b/c they were so sensitive. The discharge end of the deck EASILY bends. We have bent our deck countless times and have to beat it out. And this supposed to be a commercial mower!! The lack of a electric clutch is not a plus for me... in fact I think it is dangerous also. It is difficult to find a happy medium b/t having full power when cutting and not having the blades spin when you have them disengaged. Just sharing my experiences!
  6. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We have yet to have any problems on our 2006 60" Chopper, It has the 27 HP Kohler and has about 220 hours as of yesterday. I do think it is a little loose on a hill side but we are adding a weight kit to the rear to help with that, also the option of a suspension seat would be great. Other than those 2 things I love the mower and so does my mowing crew. BTW we demoed just about every mower on the market and went with the Dixie because of ther service, speed and quality. I think it is built well and has take alot of abuse.
    Unless you have owned one don't get on here and bad mouth them, every mower will have something that could be different. Just because you demoed one doesn't mean **** so don't trash them.
  7. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

My Kawasaki has a tick over 2000 hrs. I'd think I would have noticed if it blew up at 7 or 8 hun. Still out pulls any 25 kohler and uses no oil..
  8. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was going to buy a chopper , I like the way they look , My LOCAL DEALER IS A JERK , Thats the only reason I didn't buy chopper . There used to be a guy on this forum who passed away , this man had years of mowing experiance and he had Dixie Choppers , John DiMartino probably remembers this man . If you will look at the top of the page it's one big ad. but no Dixie Chopper ad.? this forum has changed. Exmark -Exmark -Exmark ...I have owned three Exmarks and they were Good mowers but the sun does not rise or set on Exmark....................
  9. tacoma200

Yes I go to that forum. That's where I got bashed a bit for telling Dixie what I thought would improve sales. They were friendly enough but in the end they said I didn't get it. I get that they have a sound design philosophy that works but is not appealing to the average person. But liking the looks of a Dixie is just a matter of opinion so everyone has one. Some like the stying, some don't. Personal preference. I still don't understand why they don't give the customer the option of say a good Michigan suspension seat which is in high demand on almost all major mowers. It just takes 4 bolts to put one on, give the customer a choice. I noticed they were not as pro Dixie now. I have only had loaner Dixies but as far as cutting grass quickly with a decent cut they cant be beat. Theyhave the 15 mph market to themselves. My Hustler will run the 15 but the cut would not be there in heavy grass.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

What Hustler do you have ? My XR 7 is amazing in 2 weeK old bahia with high stingers. I give it full stick and it knocks it down in one pass. I am blown away by my Hustler.