1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Choppers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GameDawg33, Aug 14, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

DEEJ, I'm glad all Canadians do not talk down to others as do you. It would give them a bad name. Grounding problem, running out of gas problem, blown computer problems are problems with the system no matter who's at fault and can be very costly. I understand your point that EFI is a superior technology but as you have stated the mower companies didn't have good knowledge how to install one, owners should read their manuals but only a small percentage do and I'm not scared of EFI. In fact I embrace it as mainstream. The mechanics and dealers in the rural area I live in haven't been trained. All my knowledge is not second hand even the mower manufacturers had told me not to buy the EFI until more mechanics are trained. You quote "My point is: EFI increases the reliabliity of the engine, as a rule, just as it has done for all of the cars and trucks we drive today. Not to mention smooth consistent power, responsiveness, easy starting, excellent fuel economy, better emissions ..." I agree with. I have no problem with EFI or technology. I was an electronic tech in the Navy with a secret clearance and have worked on equipment MUCH (Radar, satellite communications, krypto equipment, transceivers, etc.)more complicated than a simple EFI but if I can't get service in my area on the EFI it doesn't do me any good. I'm driving 80 miles to one dealer now. Stop talking down to people like your some college professor. We all know this crap.
  2. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Tacoma, There was zero attempt to talk down to you. Sorry if you feel that I did. You sated that the EFI engines have many problems. I am simply stating that those are not engine problems you are talking about, they are user problems. The engine cannot be blamed when the user runs out of fuel, or boosts it wrong, or grounds it wrong. We all know that you make darn sure you don't run out of fuel in a diesel. People (manufacturers and users) will learn what they can or can't do with EFI.

You may "know this crap", but you stated otherwise and blamed the engines, so I was just correcting the false information.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have never owned a Chopper, I took one look at the Kraft macoroni and cheese deck and said no thanks. This was on older models are the new ones any better? I bought a new Hustler the mower is great, it has a 27 Kohler and I mow 2 week old bahai in Florida at full speed for the most part with no problem. I am very mechanically inclined and when I look at a Dixie I come away unimpressed when I looked at a Hustler I said sign me up. And by the way I believe the Hustler have 21 cc pumps?
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Both brands are good mowers, its all in what you are comfortable with.
    Hustler Super Z's run 21cc Hydro Gear pumps not 19cc.
  5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

you know, i really like the way you guys at hustler don't bash other equipment and just let your product speak for itself. very professional and it speaks well of the company. but you CAN say the dixie is ugly, we all know it :laugh:
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I don't think my Hustler cuts bahai any better than my Dixie Choppers.

from FLORIDA

Your to kind if you won't bashem I will. They look like crap to me and remind me of a Harley, tired and seen it's day!

MODIXIE LawnSite Member
    from MO

Just to clarify I was not trying to bash hustler in any way. And saying u took one look at a mower and didnet like it is probably the worst comment ive ever heard. U never know untill you try something. And on the pumps being 21cc. Hustlers TM told me they were 19CC pumps....... So someone here is worng. Id never bash a mower untill I tried it. I never had a comment on hustler untill I tried it. And I stated what I thought of the machine.

Sorry to offend anyone, but I have put them side by side. Bolth brand new machines and in my oppinion the dixie chopper was a better mower. Dixie chopper had thier deck problems in 05 and earlier. In 06 they made serous much needed improvements to thier decks and they are top knotch. And im not saying that I thought hustler was a peice of junk. It was a verry well built and thought out mower design. Its just dixie chopper went the extra mile.

I have no bad impression of hustler. Infact the only mower ive ever sat on and thought was junk was a gravley. I have alot of respect for hustlers and exmarks. They are top knotch mowers, But for my money id put it into a chopper. Ive seen choppers with 4,000+ hours on them still running strong. Im sure there are hustelrs out doing the same.
    Dixie has just proven itself time after time. They arent the biggest company or the flashiest. But they build a damn good mower.
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

No need to "bashem", life's to short.
    I will take a Harley any day, I don't think they are tired, more like a piece of art to me.

from FLORIDA