dixie choppers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MATTHEW, Jun 4, 2001.

1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

ok, let's hear from you dixie chopper owners and pervious
    owners. I am using a toro 44" w/a velkie and I am somewhat
    satisfied. 15hp kohler. But, I am really feeling the pinch
    in time spent. OK, are these dixie choppers able to get a
    good clean cut and get them done in record time?????

2. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Matthew,
    Welcome to LawnSite :)
    I have been mowing with Dixies for a few years now and love them, but anything I say will be biased, so I recommend you demo one and see what you think. I think you'll be pleased.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2000 Dixie,xw 2500.it'll cut clean dry with single blades,if its wet you need double blades to cut clean.IMO the machine has a lot of shortcomings that need to be addressed asap,and the build quality is very poor,and inconsistant.there is no attention to detail,or refinement at all,just pure speed mowing,which it does do well.My machine was delivered so out of wack that it still isnt right over a year later.The dealers dont seem to know much about there own machines,Buy the honda engine if you get one,and look it over real good.

4. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I WILL ACCEPT A BIASED OPINION. I USED A TURF TRCKER FOR YEARS.
    IT IS BASICALLY A DIXIE CHOPPER SET UP FOR LAWN APPLICATIONS.
    SO MY MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS ARE-DOES IT DO WELL MOWING AT 2
    TO 2 1/2". i HAVE BEEN TOLD IT IS GREAT AT 3" BUT NO LOWER.
    ALSO, HOW EASY IS IT TO CHANGE THE BLADES? MY TORO IS A PAIN
    IN THE REAR END. I DO ABOUT $30-35.00 AN HOUR NOW. I NEED TO
    KNOW IF I CAN DOUBLE THAT TO JUSTIFY THE EXPENSE.

5. Turfquip.com has a brand new 52" Toro walk behind deck and carrier for sale for $795.

Buy this b/4 you spend $8k on new mower.

Even if you do buy a ztr in the future the 52" deck is a big improvement. Since the 52" front castors are wider than the 44" it holds hills much better.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I see several brands of mowers working in the areas we mow and I feel my Choppers mow as good or better than any of them. If you are mowing fairly smooth lawns, you can mow at 2.5" OK, but if it is very uneven, 3" or more is better. I agree with Fine Lines, go demo one and see if it will work for you.

BTW, my oldest Chopper broke down today. :(
    The low oil pressure buzzer quit today after 3,400 hours. I checked and it is getting power to it, so I guess I need a new buzzer. I think it has gotten to much water in it over the years. :)

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Mathew,forget mowing at 2"-never ,ever.2 1/2" you will still scalp on uneven ground.The Dixie scalps easier than most mowers IMO.I really feel its realistic lowest height is about 2-3/4-3",and thats with the spacers removed.With the spacers out,and the height low,you must be very careful turning,the frnot rollers dig in very easy.My Steiner 420 has a 60" deck and will cut at 1 1/2" all day without scalping.If you want a ZTR that cuts low,Id get an exmark,then buy the full width roller from York sheetmetal,its probably the best ZTR for what you want to do.it wil be able to cut at 2" much better than the Dixie.

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Eric, is that going to be the excuse to get the new chopper with the honda? ;)

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Evan, it is the best excuse I have to get one. :)
    The 2002 will be out in a couple weeks, so I have to wait til then at least. ;)

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I must agree with John DiMartino about the Exmark.

I have a new Lazer Z with a 60" ultra-cut deck and I cut lots of bumpy, uneven lawns at 2 1/2" with nary a scalp. Even at 2" I hardly ever have to ride the deck assist pedal on the swells and berms. I cut mostly fescue, bermuda, and zoysia.

Still, you have to keep an eye on the front anti-scalp wheels when turning (especially in reverse motion) as they will dig....the foot assist pedal takes care of this problem for me though.