Dixie Choppers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Jul 10, 2000.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard alot about Dixies on this site and was wondering if they were any good. I already know what Eric is going to tell me. Are they easy to maintain? Do components hold up (spindles etc.)? And are they a relitively inexpensive mower but a good mower to start out with? Any info appreciated<br>(especially from Eric)

2. snow

snow Guest

ok, let me save you from humility. use the search function, and type in &quot;dixie choppers&quot;. as a newbee you might not want to make a post about a mower until you see all the duscussions about a mower.<p><br>bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://content.communities.msn.com/BryansEquipmentPicts&quot;&gt;Bryan's Equipment Pictures&lt;/a&gt;<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 dixies as of today,I think that speed,and rugged construction are there greatest qualitys,along with being easy to maintain and service.My 60&quot; doesnt leave a great cut unless grass is perfect,its a little ragged and sometimes misses between spindles in deep grass or going fast.If you are buying new-make sure you test one as well as the competition to see what feels best for you,they all are good now(commercial units) and you couldnt go wrong with any of them.Good luck<p>----------<br>John D<br>

4. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I really disagree with snow's answer.There might be 100 new people that have not heard much about choppers yet!We have had a huge amount of people joining lately.Just becouse we have heard this disscussion many times does not mean it will be the same old replys agian.Maby there a sevral new members that have use DC's for 15 years!!!!!You never know!Not many people want to spend hours searching about a subject when they can take 2 mins to make a post and read the replys every day.Plus maby a guy who loved DC's a year ago now hates them!!!!That's my 2 cents.....yes my cents are only worth 60% of your U.S cents:)<p>Scag48-to answer your question I have not heard any one complain about DC's so far!!!!So they can be bad!!!!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Scag 48: You have opened a discussion I know about. I just got a 2001 XWD2600, which is a 60&quot; diesel Dixie Chopper with a 26 HP Yanmar engine and like it even more than my previous DC's. You asked about spindles, I've had a total of 4 Choppers now and put on about 8,000 total hours the 4 and replaced only 1 spindle on the one that has over 2,900 hours on it 40 hours ago. It was a little loose and I figured, why not replace it before it went out on me. The DC's have been the most productive and maintenance free machines I've owned. They are easy to work on if needed, but it taken care of, they don't take much maintenance on the ones I've had. The prices vary from about $5895 on up. If you have any more questions, email me. I don't want to bore the other guys here. :) <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

6. Eric ELM

John: I just re-read your post. You say you have 2 Choppers now? What did you get?<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys. I would look into a new one but no dealer that I know of around here. I'd probably look for a used one if any. The only dealer is at least 200 miles away if there is one at all. I'm in Washington and haven't seen any on the West coast by Seattle but that's where I shop 'cuz I live in a teeny town call Lake Chelan. Good news though, there is an Exmark dealer 30 miles away but I think I'd have to mow for about 6 years to get enough to buy a new Lazer. And snow, don't give me a hard time because I just recently found out that a Dixie Chopper mower actually exists. Like I said no dealers in my area.

8. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Scag48,<br>Have you thought about where you are going to go if you need the mower worked on or parts in a hurry. If the nearest dealer is 200 miles away, it could be a hassle if the machine goes down. Maybe another brand would be a better option due to geography.<br>Sorry Eric ELM......but the kids gotta think of these things as well as the pride and joy of riding the DC through the money field.<p>jeff

9. Eric ELM

Jeff: I didn't realize his age or location when I posted. There is only one dealer in Washington, in Vancover.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

10. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Actually there is now another DC dealer in WA. Adams Tractor in Spokane started carrying Dixie's this spring.