Dixie Choppperr

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ImmaculateCut, Aug 29, 2004.

1. ImmaculateCut

ImmaculateCut LawnSite Member

HI ALL

i just bought a used dixie chopper xxw 2500 72

i was told its 7 years old it has the origanl motor
    and 2500 hours on it or more

i payed 3200$

i want to know if i can get a diesel motor for it or what would u guys suggest i do

it currently runs fine...

it has a vertical shaft 25hp kohler with dual hydro coolers air filters and two hydro fluid filters

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

1. why change to diesel?
    2. Trade in on a new diesel machine??

3. ImmaculateCut

i tried to trade in a used tiger cub with 400 hours on it
    with a 23 hp kawi and a 52 in. deck they told me they would give me 1000$ at weingartz...

so if i trade in a used dixie with 2500 hours they will proabbaly give me a 20 inch used mower blade... lol

can some one tell me if thet make vertical deisel motors ??

ive only seen horizontals...:eek: :(

:cry:

my buddy says i should get dual motors...

im willing to spend a few grand please help?

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

contact dixie and see where they get their motors from

5. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

You did not say if the engine is bad as to why you want to change it. I have found that the advantages of a diesel over a gas is just longevity. They create more noise,smell bad, and just plain nasty to keep clean and to work on.. as all tools are not built to work on them as with a gasser. For trucks and tractors they are great. I have found that the gas is the best . The repair is available any where, and the cost is affordable. I myself would think long and hard befor switching if you can find one to replace it. I have not seen a vertical in my years of repair. Not to say it is not out there some where. Good luck.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I, have yet to see a vertical shaft diesel small engine.. I wish somebody made them, But if I were you, and the origional engine is done..I'd swap on a 27hp Kohler..

7. ImmaculateCut

thanks guys...

i appreciate the diesel info

im tired been mowing all day at a company for a bunch of jackasses.. lol

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Fuel is another thing with diesels. If you get off the main truck route (at least around here) you may find that a lot of gas stations only carry gas. So before getting a diesel make sure you have fuel around where you are going to be using it or be ready to haul fuel. Most people around here that use diesel equipment have a 100 gallon tank in the bed of there truck. As was said earlier work on a diesel is like night and day to a gas. People who understand diesel engines are few and few between.

9. ImmaculateCut

ok thankyou as well

i have another question

the hydros on my dixie seem very firm almost as if it is a big TORO

when my engine is at full speed it still doesnt seem as fast as the new dixie at my day job.. i think they have a newer stronger motor on there machine... is the drive system on new dixies faster than the old...?? or do u think its just my motor??

all i know is that my motor is a 25 hp kohler carburated..

the one at work is 725cc i belive... and it is fuel injected...

thankyou if u can help me atall

10. ImmaculateCut

ok
    i have another question lol

the dixe mowers at work...they are used 35 hours a week atleast..
    the rear drive wheel bolts came loose a few times now on both units have any of u ever had the problem and how to u stop it from happening..
    my cousin is think to tac weld the NUT onto the bolt once it is in the tightened postiion..