1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, May 2, 2001.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

The blades on an old dixie chopper are hard to keep turning. It starts out by making a sreeching noise when you turn on the blades and then eventually you have to retighten the clutch in the middle spindle to make the blades turn and the belts work again. I know that something is causing some friction causing this cluthch plate in the middle of the two spindles to slip and loosen the clutch but im not sure what. It looks like the C pulley is bent and causing friction but i cant nail it down. Has anyone had this problem with on old dixie. The pulley looks a little bent form the belt tension so im hoping that this is probably it.

thanks for the replys

[Edited by bdemir on 05-02-2001 at 09:59 PM]
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

How old is this machine? It sounds like you could have the wrong belts on it. I have found that a B38 belt for example, the one that goes from the motor to the Tbox, can be 1" shorter. You have to buy a B39 in some brands to make it work. If you move the engine forward to use a 1" shorter belt and then use the right size on the engine to the deck belt, the B80, it will be too long then.

I have found that on a B38, some brands I need a B 39
    A B80, I need a B81
    A B 128, I need a B129, but I've never found a B129

I just use the belts from the dealer. I find they last longer and you have to get the ones with the cords in the center since they make back bends except for the B38.

I hope this makes sense to you. ;)
  3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric:those are browning belts and as far as my machine goes they arent factory..The mower dealer will sell a browning belt for about $45 i can get them from a browning dealer for $25 for a B-101..
  4. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Its not a new machine its around 5 to 6 years old. Here i go to the dealer again which knows nothing about choppers!

I tired of this and after putting a brand new engine on. Im ready for a new mower.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

As long as you get all your belts at the same place and the same brand, they should be OK. I have used the cheap belts at a wholesaler, but they just don't last long like a DC belt. The Cheaper belts don't have the cords in the center of the belts, so they fall apart when they have to make back bends.

My oldest Chopper I bought in 1994, so it's older than yours. I did find out you can't mix certain brands of belts though. If you move the motor forward to accomodate the short one, it makes the one to long. I hope this helps some.
  6. cst51

cst51 LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new Chopper as well. I have 42 hours on it and a few things are acting "funny" on it.
    1.When I start it up the first time at the beginning of the day, it knocks horribly, then it goes away after my first lawn. The knock will not come back as long as I mow throughout the day. (23 kohler)
    2.As I mow, a high pitched sound develops then goes away to come back later. I can't pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. It sounds like its coming from the top of the motor. It will dvelop as I mow then hit a bump or the mower bounces a bit.
    My life storey, when I take it to the dealer to have him look at it, it never acts up.
    Any ideas????
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Cary, my 23hp Kohler will do the same thing, oil is fine, will do it for a while & quit. It has 400 hours I think & no problems.
  8. cst51

cst51 LawnSite Member

Kirby, Is this normal for all 23 Kohlers??? It would seem that your dealer would tell you about this before you buy it huh?? How about the screaching noise behing the seat. Sound familiar??
  9. mowerparts

mowerparts LawnSite Member

It sounds like the belt is worn out. If you engage your blades to fast or at to high engine speed or bog down the motor from clogging the deck it will burn the belt up (flat spots)that has happen a few times.
    I did have to change the pullys that engage the blades (the 2 pullys that are side by side)the bearings were shot.
    As far as the belts go I use Stens Belts they hold up better than the Dixie belts.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i sure wouldnt like to hear what you are hearing from a new kohler 23hp. only new one i ever had that did that.
    i kept telling myself it was normal until it blowed up in a ladys back yd.im sure these guys know what there talking about but if it was me id have a mechanic make sure something wasnt coming loose in that engine
    i didnt mention that the one blew up on me was tecumseh
    which might explain some of it.not to bash that brand ,i just never had but one go like that and that was the only tecumseeh i ever owned. luck to you ,probably be alright.