1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dixie question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cst51, May 9, 2001.

1. cst51

cst51 LawnSite Member

This question goes out to all Dixie owners!! What is a centrifugal clutch and if the bearings go out in it, will it make a screetching noice like a belt slipping??
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A centrificugal clutch has spring loaded pads or spring steel arms which move out and make contact with the clutch disc when RPMs are increased to the clutch unit. You would see this kind of clutch in a line trimmer, hedge trimmers, chain saw or other low power engines. It's kinda like having a torque converter.

Bad bearings will make a screaching sound. They will also get very hot.

Why did you direct this question to Dixie owners?
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The twin engine Subn Turbn uses this type of clutch on each engine, maybe thats what the link is?
  4. cst51

cst51 LawnSite Member

I have been getting this aweful sound from the engine when I throttle all the way up on my 2000 XW2300 Chopper. I've noticed the noise also when I push the speed levers all the up to go full speed. I directed this question to Dixie owners assuming somebody has had a similar experience with theirs. The engine is a 23 Kohler. It's a high pitch noise like a belt might make, but it only does it at full RPM's and when I go full speed. It sometimes does it without the blades engaged but I mostly notice it when the blades are engaged and I'm cutting.
    Thanks- Cary
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Your Chopper doesn't have a centrifugal clutch on it. What it could possibly be is a bad bearing in the idler pulley from the engine to the hydro's. This is something to check out.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If it does it with the blades off too,its probably the idler for the T-box.Pull off the spring,under the seat for the idler,and spin it by hand,see if its loose or rough.Any chance your E-brake is dragging a little?Those cables bend at the wheel motors,and if one is hanging up a little,it will squeal eventually.I use a cable luber on mine,and work them in and out with wd40 about once a month,the way they mount,its easy for water to get in and seize them up.