Dixie Silver Eagle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Farmer, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Farmer

Farmer LawnSite Member

Hey, I was wondering what you guys thought about the Silver Eagle from Dixie Chopper? Does anyone here own one? If so, what did it run you? (price wise) if you don't mind.... :)

2. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying one and was wondering how they performed. I wasn't sure if it was going to hold up to commercial quality. Is the extra money for all of the filter and coolers worth it. How about the fact that the deck does not have a constant pitch like the others? You know that Eric Elm put some high number of hours on those kohlers. Without the filters and such, could they handle it. Just curious as to what you all think.
    Thanks
    Eric

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't run them or anything for that matter without the extra filters. I've been running my 2 Choppers for over 4 years and can count on one hand the number of lower filters I've had to change on both machines. The top filters have been changed twice, just blew them out the other day and still look good.

If your gonna do homeowner mowing then you could get by I guess without them, commercially I would spend the dollars.

4. philbarb

philbarb LawnSite Member

I'm a home owner, and have had the SE for not that long, but I think that it's a great machine. Check Dixie's forum site for other comments re the SE. I got mine from the manufacturer of the
    Enginaire pre-filter, and he includes that filter on all his machines, as well as an engine protection assembly. With the filter, protection bar, hitch (which he fabricated), WI sales tax, the machine was delivered for $6022. I had surveyed many units including the Scag, Gravely, Exmark, and concluded that this was where I would get the most "bang for the buck". I certainly have not been disappointed. I was influenced positively toward the Dixie by a nearby camp that mows 150 acres a week with two Dixies (60/72") who have had no problems with their machines in the last three years of running the units.

Phil

5. philbarb

philbarb LawnSite Member

Sorry Guys, I forgot to mention that included in the $6022 price was the optional OCDC (Operator Controlled Discharge Chute). I hope I did not mislead y'all.

Phil

6. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

Any comments on the silver eagles not having a constant pitch deck lift system, unless you get the entry level commercial. It that what you have Phil with the exception of the air filter and hitch bar? Thanks
    Eric

7. philbarb

philbarb LawnSite Member

The lift system appears to me to be a constant pitch. It's a suspension system with chains at all four corners. The deck is the same deck as the other 50's, but appears to have a simpler method of suspension from the "Coatesville Classic x2001-50." I guess that you'd have to compare them side-by-side, but I certainly feel that the SE's deck lift setup is superior by far than other makes/models.

The frame is somewhat different from the x2001-50, but certainly strong enough for the machine. The engine mount area is solid plate steel, rather than tubular.

Hope this helps.

Phil