Dixie Stripe Kit, Buy or Make????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Dec 1, 2000.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Well just got off the phone with Dixie Chopper and got a part number and price for there Stripe Kit..
    Part #98024 but they want $317.90 for the thing. What all does it intell and the only one I have seen is on Eric's Web site. Can't really get a good look at it from his picture. So does any one have any specs on making one or better pictures. Or should I get off my tight but and just buy one.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I think eric made his own....
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I made mine,it isnt that hard to do,I wouldnt spend 317 for it,its just not worth it,the stripe isnt really much better with it.If you make it ,it'll cost you about 60 bucks tops.I spent 45$ on the chain,5/16" x35 ft long,I had the 1/4" x2 1/2 angle iron laying in my steel pile.On my xw the piece was 39 1/2" long.I took it to my buddys shop,where he punched the holes for 5/16 chain,39 of them,if i remember right.I slid the chains thru,and slid a 1/4"steel rod thru and it was easy to mount,the holes are already on the back of the wheel motor housing,just vise grip the angle iron in place and mark the 4 holes,drill and fasten with 1/2 nuts and bolts.The only trick is to make sure the first 4 chains on each side are short,so they dont get caught under the tires,my outside 2 were 5" long,then the next 2 were 7",then they were 11" all the way across,until the other side where i did the same thing.I have a big pair of bolt cutters,I just mounted it in my vise and cut the links as i needed them.If you cant get the angle iron punched,just weld them on in 1" spacing,it'll work the same.Good luck,and do not spend the 300+ bucks-there are much better things to spend that on.
  4. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Well last night I made my strip kit. I used a cutting torch to cut all my links and welded them to the angle iron. I Spent about 60 bucks in chain bolts and angle iron. took me about 3-4 hours to complete. Now have to wait till next year to see if it makes a difference. Sure beats spending $317 for one
  5. T. Cagle

T. Cagle LawnSite Member

SAVE THE 300 BUCKS. I made a stripe kit from a piece of
    heavy duty belting, all you need is a drill a couple nuts and bolts and the belting. Drill small holes in the back of the deck and attach the belt about 2.5 inches below the bottom of the deck edge. You only need to run the belt from just outside the tire on each side, I have ran a 1999 DC with this set up for two years and it works great.