1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Vs. Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fairways, Mar 27, 2005.

1. fairways

fairways LawnSite Member

Just wanting comments on each machine
  2. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

I second that
  3. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

They’re both excellent mowers, each one has strong vs. weak points, and purpose in life, LOL! Ours is to use them for ours. :eek:

The Dixie Chopper is IMHO the M1 tank of mowers, Indestructible! LOL! :gunsfirin

I looked at how many we have in our fleet and over the years we had a total of seven, and are down to five. The oldest is a ’94 model, and we just restored a ’99 model that apparently was in WWIII and survived! LOL!

Oh yea… just in case you’re wondering…no…the other two didn’t die, they lived on to full retirement…LOL! payup

I like them better for flat land, as they will chop anything in their path FAST!
    BUT (and there’s ALWAYS a BUT! LOL!) they have a high center of gravity which may make them less efficient on hills and inclines for inexperienced operators using the smaller deck models. :cry:

The Hustler is a more refined beast…you know, electric PTO, beautiful cut, etc.; well built (I love mine! LOL!). :cool:
    It has a low center of gravity, which makes them very comfortable, and is probably why some LCO’s we have under contract use them on some of our mediums that have inclines…Just a guess please DON’T hold me to it! LOL!

It is also very FAST…BUT (why there’s gotta be BUTS! LOL!) The low center of gravity may also put you closer to all that flying grass debris. :cry:

I don’t feel it in mine, b\c I have a bagger on it, and don’t’ know if that would even matter because you get that stuff EC-Riding HIGH on a FORD tractor with a bush hog, LOL! :realmad:

BEEN there DONE that! LOL! :angry:

There’s MORE but someone will get on my case if I write more LOL!

Hope that helps!

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

EC-Rider :waving::
  4. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Give us more EC rider
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I own a Hustler Z and I have used Dixie's in the past. Both are tough mowers and will last a long time if well cared for. But...Hustler is much better on slopes and hills and produces a much nicer cut. The Hustler hydros are smooth as silk and the mower is very fast.

I don't think anyone is building a better mower than Hustler ...at least not right now.
  6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a diehard scag fan