Dixie VTC oil change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gorrell, Mar 22, 2001.

1. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I changed hydro filters in my flatlander and s'burb'n turb'n yesterday and switched the fluid to the VTC fluid. It's hard to describe how much difference it makes. Not a hint of jerkiness that was sometimes apparent before. The fluid is $25/gl. and it takes about 1.5 gl for the changeover. Possibly the best $35-40 I've spent lately. I seriously doubt if changing the valving in the pumps would make an appreciable difference and this is profoundly cheaper. Lynn
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody know what it is? Is it a different viscosity, different heat range? What is it with this mystery snake oil that makes it work? Any thoughts?

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I know one thing, it is slick. When I unscrewed the hydro filters on the new diesel, I could barely turn them. I couldn't grip hard enough, even though before the oil started coming down the side of the filter, they turned easy. I had to use a rag go finish taking them off.

From what I have read, it will make the hydros run much cooler, double the life of your hydro system, and it does make the hydro system so smoooooooooooth. It is a blend of oil and an additive is my guess, but it seems to be good stuff. From what I have read, it will work in any hydro system that uses motor oil. I would be interested in finding out, but I don't have any other brand to try it on. The JD uses more of a hydraulic oil type oil. I have been using the JD Hyguard in it, not sure on the spelling.

If anyone tries this VTC oil in another brand mower, let us know how it works. I will ask my dealer at the open house today if he has put any in the Exmarks that he also sells. I'm going to run an Exmark today. :)
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Any ideas on if it would be alright on pumps with 1600 hours on them? I've heard some say the putting synthetic oil in an engine with lots of hours on it may cause problems and I was wondering if this might do the same thing.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I just got my filters tonight,I got my hydro system apart ,draining now.According to the mechanic-the VTC oil is not compatible with the Shaeffers thats in there,so it all has to be drained completely.I took off the tank and drained it-its been leaking out the left side filter fitting since it was new-so I'll fix that tomorrow-anyway-the VTC oil is $35 a gallon here-WOW,anyway 2 gallons of VTC oil,and 2 filters-107 bucks-ouch!!!-but hopefully it will work better,thanks for all the tips,will report how smooth it is tomorrow.
  6. Eric ELM

Take the centering springs off too. You don't need them with that oil in there. It will be so easy and smoooooth. :) Good luck, make sure you don't have any air in the lines.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Centering springs have been off since the week i got it.I used the vent line,and a regulator set at 3 psi to hjelp drain the fluid,the mechanic told me how to do it,Ill ust the same thing to push the new fluid thru the pumps,filters tomorrow before i fire it up.I brought the tank to the dealer after i got it out- ithink the filter mount is cracked or the fitting is cracked-it was leaking pretty good. got 3 days left on warranty-nothing like last minute.
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Eric, did you try the exmark? How did you like it. IM sure the dampeners take a little getting used to after eing used tot he velvet touch. Im used to the dampeners and felt weird using a chopper that had bars that glided so easily.
  9. Eric ELM

The diesel had the good seat on it, but it sure did seem like I was doing a work out on the levers. I didn't like where they have the PTO button either. Seems like it would be easy to bump with your legs. I have one ordered for the year of 2025, I figure by then my Chopper will be wore out and I'll give it a try. ;)
    I just figured that out, I'll be 92 then, I better cancel that order, because I'll probably be ready to quit by then. :)

BTW, I even took a picture of one and it would be my second choice. :)
  10. Plowzer

Plowzer LawnSite Member

I would like the VTC oil alsoin my s'burbn. I wonder what the different valves are for? I'd hate to mess something up if it isn't broke! It is very inticing tho :D What is the best way to change the fuid?