1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dixie VTC OIL

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Mar 10, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I was reading a little on the velvet touch control oil.The dixie folks said it would also make any ztr have easier controls .If so I would try it in my exmark.
    Any experiences or input appreciated.THANKS
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lazer and the controls are easy to operate. it uses mobil 1 synthetic oil and only holds a little over a quart of oil,my question would be would the vtc oil do the same as mobil 1? I believe the choppers that use this oil hold a lot more oil ,and i think they have oil coolers also.My concern would be the heat breaking down the oil and hydro problems.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I want to put the VTC oil in my 2000 DC,but my dealer has no clue that it even exists-they keep telling me there is no such kit to convert it,and that mine dont take the new oil-if anyone has a part# for the Kit,or a pic I could print and take to them- I would appreciate it.They called DC,bu they still havent called back yet.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The kit includes new valves and miscellaneous parts and the oil. Your dealer should be able to call parts and order a kit for an XW2500. If your dealer can't do this, I can give you the name of a dealer that can order this for you. I will try to get the stock # for a kit for yours.

From what I understand, DC used Schaefer's oil before the VTC and they claimed it was better than Mobil 1, but Mobil 1 could be used if you could not get Schaefer's. This new blend of VTC is supposed to be so good, they claim it will double the life of the hydro system. It makes the hydros run a lot cooler, even without coolers on a machine. This is what I have read and heard. All I know is, it makes the hydros so smooth, you do not need any steering dampeners on the hydro levers and this has been a blessing for my shoulders that have arthritis very bad. If I had to run a ZTR with steering dampeners, I would have to get out of the business.
  5. John DiMartino

Eric,Im giving them til monday-they are supposed to have the info by then-I told them I know it exists for a fact.If they cant egt it Ill get it thry you-the season's coming up quick,and I want to get the mower ready well before Ill need it,still gott a put the new spindle bearings in ,and change hydro oil-I think Ive done everything else.My warrany expires 4/1/2001,so Iwanted to open the hydro's up before then-so if there's a bunch of metal in there-i can take it to the dealer and not have to pay out of pocket.I now wish i got the extended warranty.Thank You Eric.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks HOSS for the threads.Im kinda in Erics
    situation w the arthuritus and such.OH HECK IM
    Im just starting to look at this oil .
    The dixie folks said it would work with any ztr.
    But I would need more info before I tried it.
    Im always looking for a better way,but these
    mowers to high to experiment with.Be nice if
    I had info from anyone who has tried it though.
    Thanks for the replies.
  8. Eric ELM

The VTC kit number for standard machines is 98307, twin engine machine is 98308, and diesel is 98309. The VTC oil part number 4940002106 (gal) not available in qts at this time. I will post instructions on my site how to install the kit as soon as I get them.
  9. John DiMartino

Eric,thank you very much-Im calling them now,how much oil do I need?how much should I expect to pay for the whole kit and oil-I thought you said something in the $180 area,dont want to get taken for a ride.Thank you again.
  10. Eric ELM

The dealer should know how much oil you need for a complete change. I am not sure exactly how much the kit is, but I thought I heard about $180 which included the oil, but I could be wrong. Sorry I can not come up with a price for you. I have not bought one, so maybe you can let me know. :)