dixie1 soild foil blades great sugestion!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:D dixie1 Thanks for the good sugestion
    I read your post about the solid foil blades, and got to thinking there might be something to this. I have a lazer hp 23 kawasaki. I bought the solid foil blades, sharpened and balanced them, and tried them out. The first thing I noticed was that when blades are engaged, the engine did not lug down as when the high lifts are engaged. I noticed that there was more rpms with load. Now the best thing, they semed to cut the grass finer, the stripes were a lot more defined, and the grass I tried them on was not a lush lawn, so it will probaly stripe even better. If anyone else has a lazer hp, they might want to consider the soild foil blades as an alternative, I did and am very pleased with the results :D

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

allright!!! im off to see the wizard ,i mean the dealer to get the
    solid foil. will one set work with say a light wt high lift as top,
    or how do you runim Dixie.later

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Solid foil????????????????????

4. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a website about these solid foil blades. Kinda like to see one. Never even heard of them. Thanks.
    mowingmachine

5. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Do the dealers carry solid foil blades. Never heard of such a blade. More info please

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hold on guys!!! All this talk about solid foil blades got started last year when I was having such a difficult time with my Lazer EPS leaving a streak in my row. After much research and trial, I discovered that the blades I was using were the cause of this. I then switched TO a solid foil blade and it cured it. All a solid foil blade is, is a blade that does not have the little U notched out of the back just before the foil. These blades are available in all variations including medium and high lift.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Runner! You pretty much summed it all up! It was your suggestion so all thanks and commendations should go to you!

If you look at it in terms of a blades ability to develop lift, the solid foils win hands down. Any amount of blade material above the cutting surface will create lift. By U notching a blades lift foil only lessens the amount of lift that is created. Simple aerodynamics. Lift stands the grass up, sucks it up if you may, and lets it be discharged farther.

Just as important as solid foils is a long, sharp cutting edge. Dixie Chopper's are the blades that got me thinking of the longer is better theory. I modify all my blades to as long as possible. That longer edge not only cuts any grass that the tips may have missed, but it will also create.....LIFT.

Class is dismissed, tomorrow we will discuss the effects of price fixing on the economy!

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Well I sure did learn something new today. :)

I always called the FOIL the lift. Duh, what a dumby I was.

I think we need a page on definitions.

I think I will put one on my website for references.

What is a blade called that has the little U notched out of the back just before the foil called? A non solid foil hi lift?

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, Here, we will refer to that as a NSFHL:D.

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Runner! You pretty much summed it all up! It was your suggestion so all thanks and commendations should go to you!