dixiechopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hagen, Aug 18, 2002.

1. hagen

hagen LawnSite Member
    from texas

i am looking at the dixiechopper to buy i have a grasshopper with a 21 horse diseal motor and it can run all day long in the heat but i am afraid that the dixie choppers air cooled engines will over heat. do you think the dixiechopper gasoline motor will over heat if you run it a long time straight in the heat?

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I would estimate it has been over 95 at least 20 days in the past month and over 100 at least 10 times. My 3 year old Dixie has never overheated and I don't expect it to with the additional oil and hydro coolers. I have run it very hard many hot days.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My Chopper with the 25hp Kohler has run hard all summer with no overheating trouble. Has been 100 or close to it many days.:D

4. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Have 2 Dixies , both loaded with hrs , mostly cutting in the florida heat , have never had 1 problem with either engine , make sure to change the oil every 25 hrs and clean the air filters .You will never have a problem ,,,,,,,Hopefully

5. Turfclippings

Turfclippings LawnSite Member

My 25 Kohler will run all day and never had any problems. We run open acres so its some times 3 hours straight and it keeps running along. That machine is a 99 model. In fact it outruns my 26diesel. I also run 2 diesel choppers.

6. Air cooled; air is cirulated over fins on the head and block of the engine to "cool" it

Liquid cooled; air is pulled through a radiator that antifreeze or oil is circulated through to disapate the absorb heat it got off the engine.

I would be more afraid of a liquid cooled engine overheating than an air cooled. More things to have go wrong, maitain and replace.

Do yo see any walk behinds with liquid cooled engine on them that have problems being air cooled. Only H20 engine you could put on a WB right now would be the Kohler Agis.

BTW I run ALL air cooled mowers, and will always.

7. Don't you have 2 Hustler Super Z's also?

8. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

I have two Choppers and I think it's more than safe to say that you won't have any over heating problems with them.

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Not once since I have been cutting nor since I have been on this forum have I had or heard of an air cooled engine over heating. I think it'll be alright. Since there are literally thousands out there running every day in all sorts of applications I believe they pretty much have them figured out. Just be sure and keep the screen free of debris.