Dixon 34" blackbear vs. exmark lazer hp 46"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Mar 25, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have right now a wright stander 32 and a exmark phazer 34 that I am selling. I might stay with a small biz for now with a 32 and 34 size mowers. I want something more commercial grade than the phazer and really like the way the dixon black bear looks. It looks like a solid mini ztr. Has anyone had experience or has used one before? Or would a 46" exmark lazer hp really be worth it? I can get one for $6000 on promo but don't really have enough large properties for it. I'm cutting small lawns and love the stander for that but want to sit down on larger lawns and want a small 34" width to go with the 32" stander. Any opinions on what I should get?

2. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I think I would buy the Dixon, I'm sure it is a lot cheaper than the Exmark. Plus, Dixon mowers are pretty good machines.

3. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

I don't know why you think the Phazer is not commercial, it has the Trivantage deck on it, and it is a much better machine than any Dixon. I have owned two Phazers and never had any issues with them. Instead of looking for something different, just make money with what you have. Why would you replace a 34 Phazer for a 34 Dixon. You would do better keeping your 32 Stander or Phazer 34 and getting a larger Lazer or Lazer HP. If you need some advice, feel free to call me 225-677-8042, I am familiar with your type of properties and locale.

4. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

So I assume you have run both the Dixon and the Phaser?

5. Quality Cuts PLS

6. Quality Cuts PLS

The eXmark quality of cut blows Dixon away.

7. PearceLawn

That is just your opinion. I also have used both. And Ferris and Toro. It has been my experience that if you use it properly you will get good cut quality from all of them.

8. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

I have cut with both machines side by side and I disagree. I saw no real difference between the two. Both decks cut very well. (Northern grass types - Fescue/Bluegrass mix)

I prefer the drive system on the BlackBear the that of the Phazer

The BlackBear gives you 10cc Hydro-Gear pumps and Parker Ross Wheel motors.

The Phazer comes with HydroGear ZT2800's

The BlackBear is a well spec'd and put together machine. It does what it was designed to do very well.

Q

9. Quality Cuts PLS

It uses Parker pumps and motors, not Hydro Gear components. What cuts best in your locale may be different than ours. I am about 35 to 40 miles from this guy, so I know what works better for our grass types than you do. I'm trying to give him more useful info than what others can provide. It is based on facts and actual experience, not assumptions and specs.

10. PearceLawn

I was in business in Birmingham Al. for a while too.

Take it easy. No one is downing you. So far the two guys on here replying besides you have run them as well. We are giving our experience and opinion as well.

I think he was asking for opinons/experience from everyone.

Hopefully you don't comment on the threads fron anyone up north here because according to you, you are not qualified and your advice is worthless. These are your words not mine.