1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixon Diesels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mow"N"Bud, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

Hello all, Considering getting a mower to use in large areas, and have been looking at all the popular ones with diesel engines. I have checked out Exmark, Husqvarna, Snapper, and then when I at my Great Dane Dealer, who also sells Dixon I noticed Dixon has a Diesel. My dealer swears by Dixon, but he is the one who wants to sell one. I don't have any experiance with them, and their decks look quite a bit different than any other model I am farmiliar with. Would you Dixon owners please let me know what you think of your Dixons, especially if you have one of thess diesel ztr units. Thanks
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I really like my Kodiak 50". That's the same frame size model as the diesel would be on. I think the deisels have the bigger wheel pumps and motors though (12cc) You will find very LITTLE backing on this site for Dixon, even less now that they are owned by Husquvarna...

I wish I had experience with the diesel model, heck I wish I owned one! I don't know that the extra weight is something I'd like, plus I really don't know if the machine itself would ever last as long as the engine. They are the "least expensive" diesel available on the market.

Reasons I didn't get one: I was used to the 50" deck and didn't want to step up to the 52", I didn't need that much power, didn't like having to carry another fuel on the trailer, I didn't want the extra weight when the lawns are swampy wet, extra cost...

However I wish I had one in the heat because of the liquid cooled, the longivity, resale value, torque for bagging, could use non-road tax diesel...
  3. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

From my experience with them, they are great, but not the best. Also, recently on this forum there was a thread saying Dixon was bought out by another company. Just a little something to look out for.
  4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

They just sold out to Husquarvarna I wouldn't buy from them right now.
  5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Wow I just lost 30 posts.