dixon mower problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by m_e_johnston, Aug 21, 2006.

1. m_e_johnston

m_e_johnston LawnSite Member

I have a Dixon 428 mower, and am having an electrical issue with it, and would like to know if someone could point me in the right direction. The mower starts fine, and runs normally. When I engage the blades, they start, but shortly after turn off. I try to restart them, but they will not come on. I then turned off the mower, and when I try to turn it back on, I get a quiet "buzzing" noise, and the mower will not start up. If I wait for a while (30 minutes or so) it will restart. Bad batter? coil? starter? I've only had the mower for a month, and had no problems with it the first three weeks. Thanks!

Mike

2. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

First check the connection on the wire to the electric clutch to make sure it is not corroded. Next check the ground wire from the clutch if so equipped.If both are clean secure connections then you need to check the voltage to the clutch. If not getting voltage comparable to battery voltage then check your relays.If this is a new mower then have dealer warranty any parts or repairs.If you have recently washed the engine compartment or left it in the rain you could have a shorted relay as most of them I've seen are not waterproof.The buzzing sound could help you locate the relay that is causing the problem.