Dixon mowers are junk

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RD592, Sep 23, 2006.

1. RD592

RD592 LawnSite Member

I have a 2005 dixon grizzly 60" 25hp. Ever sience I got this mower I have had a bunch of little problem, that I had to bring it to the dealer and get them fixed. My biggest broblem is my deck, I thought it was warped but my dealer said that a blade was bent and thats why I couldnt leve my deck properly. I took his words for it because when I cut my grass once I got it back from the dealer it seemed to cut better. Which brings me here now, I just put new blades on the mower and when I check the deck it seems that the left side, of the deck is always an 1/4 higher than the right side no matter what I do with it. this is the same problem I was having when I sent it back to the dealer.

Not to mention that I can not stand both the dixon dealers in my area. When they fix something they never seem to fix the right thing. That goes to show you how bad these mowers are.

So who ever is thinking about buying a dixon I am just telling you that you you get less than what you pay for.

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you have no more problems; but a bent blade and the deck is not pitched right these are easy to fix (5 minutes). PS watch the rocks etc.

3. RD592

RD592 LawnSite Member

I know that the blades are not bent. I have spent over 24 hour of my time trying to level the deck perfect and Just can not get it right. My scag I can level the deck in minutes.

When I bought it to the dealer a couple of months ago he said that a blade was bent thats why I couldnt level it right. Now I know that the blades are not bent because they are new and I checked them before I put them on. My problem is the same problem I was having before that the left rear side of the deck is alway 1/4 higher than the right rear side of the deck.

4. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

KS Grasscutter here has a Dixon. PM him and find out how his has held up so far.

5. KLM service

KLM service LawnSite Member

Flat Surface? check/adjust air pressure in tires?

6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Is your spindle mount flat and true?

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

The surface your using to measure from may be out if tire preasure etc is ok. Even the slightest dint/rise in the concrete can make the measurment way off.

I had a thought that I havent tried yet but will next week... Try spraying some water onto the concrete surface so that you can see any high/low spots. Find 2 spots that look pretty level and measure from them. The water will find the low spots!

8. RD592

RD592 LawnSite Member

Air presure good not sure about spindil but im possitive it is good also

9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

RD592 - Read this AGAIN. :usflag:

10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I do have a couple, but the guy you need to talk to is Jason Rose. He has had good luck with many Dixon mowers over the years. Also, i have had ZERO problems (that were the machines fault) so far, really with either of the Dixons.

Anyway, to the original poster...
    Are your blades on right? I know once when i sharpened blades i did not get one of my blades on quite right, causing it to be a little lower. I noticed that it was not right and fixed it, but i think it would be easy to overlook.

Also, the bolts that hold your deck onto the frame might not be adjusted the same. That could cause one end to be lower. I aint sure exactly what these are called though...