1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dixon mowers-are they any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by forgop, Jan 3, 2005.

1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

It seems as though nobody on this board seems to really talk about them, so I thought I'd see what the consensus was on them. I know they're not in the league with any of the top mowers out there, but was just curious if they'd be worthy of consideration if the price is right, as they do tend to run on the lower end from what I've seen.

Keep in mind, I have yet to buy my first real mower and don't have a lot to invest until I make some money in the biz first, but will they give me a quality cut? Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

They will give a good cut but not hold up to every day use.

3. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

The LCO I used to work for before I went solo had two dixons. A 48" and A 60" I think. They were the only ZTR's he owned and they worked great. Both gear drive. They were used maybe 20 hours a week. Never any problems though, other than a belt once in a while.

4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my first ztr last June. It was an old 1991 Dixon transaxle drive. I won it on Ebay. :D
    I paid $550 for it and had to drive to Houston to pick it up. I got a ticket on the way so that added another $150 to it. :realmad:

The mower looked worse in person than in the picture!! It was in bad shape. Somebody ran that thing in the ground and it still started right up. I replaced the spindles, altenator, battery, bearings and blades,then used it for about a month. It was a 42". It cut great after I did the maintenance on it. It was loud from the transaxle chains. O yea, I replaced a sprocket too.
    I ended up selling it for $900. For it to have lasted that long and been so abused and still running says something. Dixon has been in business selling ztr's since the 70's. They also have commercial z's with same warranties and other companies.
    One thing I liked about this mower was that it weighed only about 350 lbs. You could mow soaking wet lawns with it and not rut them.
    I was just glad none of the other lco's saw me on it. :D

5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

my friend started out with one he had it for a year or to and had to replace the transmission and the axle and some other stuff i think he told me all it was was trouble

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Dixon now has a line of commercial mowers that will hold up to heavy use. I'm not really sure how well they would perform but they are not little residential grade mowers like Dixon is known for. The commercial line has pumps and wheel motors instead of a transaxle and look to be built pretty good. From what i've seen the prices seem to be very resonable also.

7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, answer this question, what's the ratio of Wright, Exmark, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, and Encore mowers to Dixon? Enough said.

8. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

I'm actually eye balling a brand new walk behind actually. I think they're new for 2005.

9. jiw22

jiw22 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

dixie chopper made the 1's ones an sold them out that tells me something.thats when grasshooper an dixon was crossed to make the dixie chopper :cool2:

10. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

from what I've read and understood, the man who came up with the Dixie Choppers looked at the Dixons and the Grasshoppers and took ideas from both but the Dixons were around longer.