Dixon mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Jul 12, 2001.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Today i saw a small mower shop, and never knew what they sold. i stopped at the gas station next to them and saw they were dixon. They didnt look very heavy duty to me, i wasnt real impressed. Does anyone own one of these?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What you probably saw was the Dixon homeowner ZTRs. They also make a commercial line but I've never heard of anybody owning one.

3. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Ive got a commercial 97 Dixon 5423 w/18Hs kohler 42". It was my first mower, bought it used from a friend. Its and Ok mower, hard to compare to my walker. I use it to side discharge. Never had a problem out of it. I wouldnt buy new, theres alot better mowers out there. Im debating on waiting to buy a 52" Lazer. I think I can get a better deal in the off season.

4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

these are ok mowers if you are mechanicly inclined (they reguire a lot of adjusting... i have a small used unit that we run on small residential accounts. they have a resonable cut and ok speed we have the old cone drive model and these mowers make a lot of racket . we got a good deal on it so we really havent lost anything with it . i would not however recomand it for serious commerical work . there comerical line is nice but very pricey

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My first ZTR was a Dixon, but it too was a cone drive. :(
    I agree it made lots of noise and it was right next to worthless on any sort of a slope. I had the 36" and I even added 50 lbs. of weight on the back to help hold it down. :)