1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixon Or Gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AWABUKIE, Feb 22, 2007.

AWABUKIE LawnSite Member

what would you buy.Both are 7,000 dollars.The 52 kodiac dixon has 25 hp kohler.The 52 gravely has 21 hp kawasaki.
  2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

neither .............. Toro, or Scag would be a better mower
  3. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

neither, cub tank or exmark . just my opinion
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Do you mulch?? Then gravely.
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Gravely between the two. But have you looked at other brands?

AWABUKIE LawnSite Member

No mulching.It all gets spit out the chute.The shallow deck does have me a little concerned.The deck on the dixon had a little more vibration and noise as well.For some reason there was no castor wheel on the right side of the deck either.The positives are it comes with 25hp kohler,3 year parts warranty,roll bar,head lights(which I know I will never use)and the hydros seemed more responsive.The gravely deck looks like it has more muscle though and did not shake as much when blades were enguaged.If any body has either one of these mowers,ld be appreciated thanks.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You are better off with the 21Kaw then a 25Kohler.

AWABUKIE LawnSite Member

I looked at a 52 lesco for 6200 + tax.I think it had a 19 hp kawasaki...could have been 21 though.It shook really bad when blades were on.The deal breaker was that there is no mechanic at the dealer site.I would have to drive it 60 miles to be serviced.
  9. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

I used to have my service in Fort Lauderdale. With st. augustine grass Deere or Scag has the best cut and the least problems. Of course thats my opinion.
  10. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

I've never owned a Gravely so can't help you on the comparison. But I can say that we have the next smaller Kodiak... one of the Dixon Kodiak 50" models with the 19hp Kawasaki if they have that model you should be able to buy it around $5900. We sure like ours... and we've had plenty of Scags and other brands to compare it against. It cuts great (love the deck design), and rides nice as well.
    I also think that the Kawasaki is a way better engine than the Kohler but that's a Ford vs. Chevy thing... some guys love Kohlers.