Dixon Ram Mag Ztr 44

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAZ982500, Sep 13, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

Want to know the experinces with this particular mower.I am looking into purchasing this ZTR 44" choice between Kohler Kawi or Honda.Who is running this and how do you like it.

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Junk Im sorry. :rolleyes:

3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

why are they "junk"? I have no experience with them so I 'm open to opinions too.

4. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

Hi DAZ

May I suggest you check out this thread
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=98226&page=1&pp=10

in which I set out some of my reasons for choosing a Dixon Ram 44 MAG for home use.

Because of my property being a bit rough and rocky, I was looking for a machine with a reasonably strong chassis without wishing to pay the price of a serious commercial machine.

Since you have put your question in a "Commercial" forum, I imagine that is your intended use.

While I am happy with the machine for my purposes, I would not really recommend it to anyone for commercial use (in spite of the "Commercial" decal on the chassis).

In addition to the weaknesses mentioned in my posts to the above mentioned thread, I have found other areas which have required modification. For example, the parking brake latches behind a small triangular protrusion from the left hand chassis rail. This is so thin that the corner rapidly wore away, allowing the brake to release itself.

To summarise the situation, I could only seriously recommend the machine to homeowner with a well equiped metalworking home workshop.

As far as the engine is concerned, as explained earlier, I did not really get a choice but finished up with the 20hp Honda which I am very happy with.

There is one problem which I have had recently I suppose is really my fault for using the mower as an ATV tow vehicle (for my chipper/mulcher). A few times the front tyres have deflated due to distorting and losing contact with the rim. For the moment I have just upped the pressures but another possibility is to fit tubes.

dh500