Dixon VS Hustler?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tkcrabby, Jul 27, 2006.

1. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

Dixon Ram Mag 50" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,450
    (Dealer is 10 miles away)
    or
    Hustler Fas Trak 52" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,500
    (Dealer is 35 miles away)

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

go to the Hustler forum and read. pay special attention to the way the factory rep handles any problems that arise. then read go to the Hustler website and compare the warranties of the Hustler's vs. Dixons. i'm not downing Dixons. my dad has had one for 6 years and it has been a trouble-free mower. i looked at dixon bf i bought Hustler. i have never second guessed my decision.

3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would drive 50 miles to get the Hustler!

4. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys,
    I have been over on the Hustler forum and I have noticed how the factory guys jump right on any questions or problems people seem to have.

Can you guys tell me any "real" differences between the specs of these two mowers? It seems from what I've read they should be VERY close to the same thing,,,,,,,,, I did notice that the Hustler FasTrac has an auto set brake system when you return the steering levers to the outward position the emergency brake engages and the Dixon doesn't,,,, the Charged IZT units seem to be the same , Both have Kohler engines, both have welded or fabricated decks. I can't check them out side by side,,,,,,,,

By the way, what's the difference between "IZT" and "Charged IZT" anyways?

5. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

I stand corrected, I had been told that BOTH the Dixon Ram Mag and the Hustler FasTrac had charged IZT's BUT when I went to the Hustler & Dixon web sites and read the spec sheets for these two models I found that the Dixon Ram Mag HAS the "Charged IZT's" while the Hustler FasTrac does NOT have the "Charged IZT's" ,,,,,,, does this make the Dixon the one to get?

6. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

Well, now I'm confused again ,, I was contacted by a Hustler "rep" and he said they've used IZT-C trans for years now on the FasTraks and that the "C" stands for Charged,,,, BUT the spec sheet from their web site does NOT say IZT-C it says IZT........... do now I have no idea of what to think. Anyone know 100% sure one way or the other?

7. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

Given the lastest info , being that BOTH mowers have the "Charged IZT's" which is the one to get?

Help me out guys! Please................

8. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned one of the old cone-drive Dixons for more than 20 years. I realize that the new mowers are a hell of a lot better, but their parts & service still suck.

You couldn't GIVE me a Dixon!

9. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

:confused: Darn-it! I just found out that the Dixon has a Kohler Command Pro 20hp twin BUT the Hustler FasTrak has a Kohler 20hp single Cyl engine, they don't tell the exact model on their web site, so to get a twin I'd have to pay another $600 or so to get a 20 hp Honda twin on the FasTrak and it's already at the exreme upper end of my price range., I might have to get the Dixon now because I've read a lot about a twin being much better than a single cyl engine, right? :confused:

10. tkcrabby

tkcrabby LawnSite Member

Guess I'm getting the Dixon Ran Mag 50, I went to check it out today and it has the Kohler Command PRO 20 hp twin engine, where as the FasTrak has a Kohler "Courage" 20 hp single cylinder engine. The Dixon has the same "Charged IZT's" with 7" fans, The Hustler does have a larger fuel tank at 12.2 gal while the Dixon has a 5.5 gal , BUT I think I'll be able to get by with being able to mow my 1.5 acres twice pre tank with the Dixon vrs , maybe 4.5 times with the Hustler,,,,,,,,,,,, I do really like the Hustler's emergency brake sitting automatically AND I really like the warranty being 4 years instead of the Dixon's 3 year parts 2 years labor BUT they are close enough to being the same that in the end the fact that the dealer is a lot closer to me turned the head towards the Dixon for the last time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The Hustler dealer was very nice each time I talked to him AND I've "Heard" that the Dixon dealer takes care of the customer after the sale and is a great guy to deal with after the sale...................