1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixon ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rider1000, Feb 15, 2001.

1. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

New to the business, making a decision on what equipement to buy. I've been looking at the Exmark,Excel,and Dixie Chopper ztr's and they seem to be ones of choice. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the Dixon commercial mowers? The reason I ask is that I have a dealer a half mile away and should get good support from him I would think. But if they are junk I wouldn't even consider this brand.I've already landed a 7.5 acre commercial job, so I think I need a ztr.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I had a small 36" Dixon at one time, but it wasn't the commercial type. We have a few Dixon Dealers around here, but I have never seen one out cutting. I don't know if there is a reason other than they are not just not popular here. I don't know if any of the 2500 members even have one here.

With 5 DC dealers in Indy alone, there must be one of them close by too. I would just demo them all and decide for yourself. I have several dealers with in a couple miles of me that sell different brands, but I travel 30 minutes to get to my dealer. Close is handy, but not always the best.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Test them out. I think your choice would come down to the choppers and the exmarks. Kinda like the Hatfields and McCoys. :) I love the exmarks, but I would consider buying a dixie if I had alot of big wide open accounts. I just prefer to mulch and not side discharge. You will be very happy with either machine you choose.
  4. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I've never owned a Dixon, but know several lco's who use them. They say the decks are too thin and wear out quickly, front caster wheel bearings don't last, parts too expensive. Not a single one would recommend buying another one.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I had one of the 36" Dixon's, parts are way too expensive and too hard to drive straight because of s****y adjustment. I sold it to a guy from Toronto who loaded it into the trunk of his car and that was the last I seen of it..
    Good riddence,,, but the kids loved driving it around the yard.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 02-23-2001 at 12:52 PM]
  6. quickcutt

quickcutt LawnSite Member

I have used dixon for 13 yrs. We had good luck with them,in their day they did a good job.But i have since moved on to exmark,i compared a new dixion to an exmark side by side,the exmark is better built, stronger,cost less,looked a little cleaner in design.We were gettin 2500-3000 hrs out of our dixons.The bagger on the exmark will run circles around the dixon.So check them both out
  7. Dan Stoms

Dan Stoms LawnSite Member

quickcut, I have a Dixon I use for bagging and thought it did a good job. Could you give a little more detail about Ex mark's bagging system,and why it's better?If you read this post again.
  8. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

My neighbor (also in the lawn care business) uses a Dixon. He likes his (I think that this is his second one), and tried to get me to buy one. I looked at them but decided on exmark, cheaper and better built. Like lee said the deck is thin, my neighbor has had to replace his because the old one had some holes in it.