dixon ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Collin, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

My friend loves dixon mowers and is wondering if they are a good mower to use commercialy. For the money should he buy dixon or something else?
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

How much money are you talking about? And for what mower?
  3. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

none in particular, just he is curious
  4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Dixon makes a really nice commercial mower. I would say your friend would do just fine cutting commercialy with a Dixon as long as he buys from their commercial line.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The Kodiak, Grizzly, Silvertip, and Black Bear are all in Dixon's Commercial line. Sizes ranging from 34" to 72" with any engine combination you can think of... Even a Diesel 52".

Prices can't be beat. For example I priced a new Kodiak 20 hp kohler, 50" with a commercial catcher for right around $6,600. Any other commercial mower that size will be $6,000 to $10,000 for that size without a catcher system.

Iv'e ran Dixons for years, and know many other full time commercial cutters that do as well (for way longer than I have been around). They are the lightest weight and most agile ZTR you are going to find that's still a commercial machine. The units I'm used to have Hydrostats, the new ones now have pumps and wheel motors. I don't know if it's an improvement, there was seriously nothing wrong with the way it was. I think they only changed because everyone else has and it makes them "look" behind in the times.
  6. Collin

Collin LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.
  7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned a Dixon 308 for 23 years. It is the cone drive type. I can say unequivocally that it is absolute the WORST PRODUCT I HAVE EVER OWNED. Granted, the newer hydrostatic drive commercial units are better, but good luck getting parts. Mine was down for SIX WEEKS last summer waiting for parts! A couple of years ago, it broke down (that is, broke down to where I had to go to the dealer for parts) NINE times. I called Mr. Dixon at his home to complain.

When spring comes, I'm gonna dump, er, sell mine.
  8. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I had what sounds like the same machine, chain driven.

That was a long time ago, I've had 5 hydro ztr's since then. You live and learn I guess. (I hope I'm learning)
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

wow, complaining that an antique machine keeps breaking... I'm sure mr. dixon (and there is no mr. dixon) got a good laugh about that call!

And why do you say "good luck getting parts"? Dixons are made in Coffeville Kansas. Parts are available at any dealer and can be had next day if they aren't in stock.

Nobody here was asking about the reliability or quality of a machine that's 23 years old. I'd bet money that there isn't any machine that old that even comes close to what we have now as far as longevity, ease of service, structure, cutting deck design, drive componets, and so on.

Man, I had a Ford F-250 that I pumped 10 grand into in 3 years! All fords are JUNK!!! If you buy or own a Ford you are stupid. Find another brand! That 18 year old ford was just a lemon and because of that fact they all are!

Sounds pretty dumb dosn't it???
  10. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

As I said, the newer ones ARE better. As I said, it is hard to get common parts. We've had several dealers in our area that have had problems getting parts (bearings, chains, etc). My mower was down for 6 weeks last summer waiting for a sprocket! (Dixon asked ME to be a dealer years ago, BTW).

Yes, Virginia, there IS a Mr. Dixon. Mr. K. O. Dixon, to be exact. The machine wasn't an antique when I called him. He no longer owns the company that he founded.