1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A.D Services, Nov 10, 2006.

1. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

does anyone on here like dixon? want to ask because i want to buy the black bear with the 34'' deck looks like a quality machine i just want some feed back as to what the different views are on this brand and this particualar model any thoughts are appreciated
  2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Once again, do a search. Many thoughts and opinions on Dixon. :usflag:
  3. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

I saw Dixon at the GIE show.

Looks like really nice equipment...well built, good warranty and nice prices!
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

WOW! A couple positive comments! I have ran Dixon for YEARS and really like them. Iv'e seen one 34" black bear in use here. I don't know the guy though, never talked to him... He has the commercial catcher on his.
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I havent really looked at one up close. I have a Speedztr 44 inch. I am overall real happy with it, and have had basically NO problems with it since i bought it. I kinda wish i would have bought the Blackbear 44inch, instead of mine, so i could have more cut hight options. I think the Black Bear would be a real good mower for smaller areas/backyards. And in my opinion, the Dixon catcher is the BEST on the market.
  6. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

ok i did a search and some people are saying that the dixon and redhawk are the same thing? i dont think this is good because they say redhawk are chinese? anyway is was at the dixon dealership and i dont like the dealership the guy who runs it is so lazy. hes not open on thursdays because he has to golf and he is not open sundays or on late saturdays and only does servicing mon-wed. he never seems like he has work to do. i really dont see makes money to keep the place from closing down. he charges a butload for machine pick-up although he has just become a maruyama dealer and is the only maruyama dealer around. but i dont want to buy from him
  7. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

dixon walk behinds are the same as bradley/redhawk just a pretty blue color instead of red or whatever.im not sure about the model your talking about.but anyway didnt husqvarna buy out dixon.the dixon dealer i was dealing with told me he wasnt sure what was gonna happen with the dixon line up of mowers........
  8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Dixon and Redhawk are two entirely differnt things. Dixons used to be made here in Kansas until this past summer, now they are made in Nebraska, I believe, owned by Husqrvana. I think that the walkbehinds sold as Dixon are Redhawks. I honestly have not ever seen one in use, and never evan saw one at any dealer. Of course though, WBs aint used here much.

Dixons are seriously good machines, many, many guys here in town swear by them. Sounds like your dealer support may not be the best though. Do you have another dealer somewhat close?

Also, see that you have a TroyBilt Widecut in your signature there. What dont you like about it? I used one a few weeks ago on a couple lawns, and I really liked it. I think it would be about perfect for my opperation to do the middle sized backyards with 36in gates. I dont think there was anything I didnt really like about it. Of couse, I didnt use it on any real big areas, or try to mulch with it.
  9. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

My first post here. I love the site. Have to chime in on the Dixon question. I have owned a Ram 50 Mag since Nov. of 05 and I like it very much. I am a solo operator and depend on it for all my properties. I cut very well in wet or dry conditions and bags with the Dixon double bagger like a champ. Find a better dealer and buy one. You won't be disappointed.
  10. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

For those wondering about changes to the Dixon line, I contacted them specifically asking whether future Dixons will be just blue painted Huskies, or if there will be a new combined platform. I was told:

"The Dixon brand will remain intact and separate from the Husqvarna brand. We recognize the strong reputation of the Dixon brand and only hope to improve the product and market position.

Dixon will have a new 2007 product line up soon which will include some of these improvements and offers new model choices while streamlining others."

Quote from Heidi Duncan at Husqvarna.