Dixon's, are they any good

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by motor86, Feb 20, 2001.

1. motor86

motor86 LawnSite Member

My aunt is selling her farm, and maybe her Dixon. It is a 42". I am not sure of the year or anything, but I know it is a ztr. Are they any good? What is their price new, lets say for a 42" deck.

thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not built for commercial use.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive never even seen one on a trailer. from what ive heard, they arent a well built machine for commercials. buy scag or exmark.

4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of guys in my area use them. One of the best guys in town uses them. He will swear by them.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I swore at mine too. :mad:
    I also used a 42" and I swore at it too. :mad:

6. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I didnt like it,Sucked gas and had a crappy drive system also (i broke a drive chain usein it) and i didnt beat on it either:D

I believe it had a 42" deck also

7. motor86

motor86 LawnSite Member

I had heard that they are not the best. It is about the right price though.

Do the dixon's use a dual hydro like all the other ZTR's?

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

9. Scott Campbell

Scott Campbell LawnSite Member

Motor86,

I know a little about the Dixon's, it was what my dad used primarily on his place. It also was the 42" cut w/ a 13hp motor. It was a chain/cone drive. Old technology at work here. We replaced the entire cone system last season. He has had this mower for about 2 1/2 yrs.(bought it used) But, he did alot of cutting with it. At his place and at some of our relatives. Cut pretty well. Dad was always happy with it.

Like the others said, the Dixon's aren't up to snuff for commercial quality. As far as the hydro question, depends on the model you look at. The higher end ones do use the dual set-up. The prices that I have seen around here have started around $4500 for a 42" to 50" cut w/ a 15 or 16hp motor. They do carry an awful lot of the chain drives still.

I demo'd the 7025 model awhile back,(60", 25hp Hydro list at $8500), and it just didn't move like the Exmark's, Toro's or Dixie's. For the money, depending on what you are planning to cut, it would be better served going with the industry leaders.

I believe that they make pretty good residential machines. Like has been said though, if you are considering a substantial amount of cutting you may want to weigh other options. (make a nice back-up if you needed it) ;)

10. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I think it is the murrary of ztrs.