DIY Irrigation - Help here?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lakee911, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Lakee911

Lakee911 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I am looking for a place to have my small irrigation design critiqued before I install it. Is it okay to post here? I'm looking to do it correctly and don't want a hack job. I am an engineer and I'm rather capable (in my opinion) as well. I did read the Sticky to Homeowner's, Do-It-Yourselfer's, please read this first. If you'd rather not have a DIY post or do not want to help, please recommend another site if you could.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

You could post it here but you will need your hip boots to wade through all the sh!t you will most likely get from some guys. But if you stick it out and are a good sport you will get some good info eventually. Just remember most guys here make a living doing what you are asking us to do for free. so if some are not too friendly don't take it personally.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Try here

This is a good irrigation homeowners website

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno, lots of idiots there. :p

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Post away:give scale and sun /shade. Hope you know the psi/gpm available, otherwise these jackals will rip your heart out.

7. Lakee911

Lakee911 LawnSite Member

I think I'll take my chances here with the waders. :) I've attached my plan below. There is a 2' elevation drop over approx. 4' along the south and the west...note the location of the steps on the walk to the front porch.

My static water pressure is approx. 76 psi. My max flow rate was 12GPM. I will install a RPZ BFP in my basement.

Zone 1: Rainbird 1804-SAM-PRS with 10VAN nozzles @ 6.94 GPM. Full Sun
    Zone 2: Rainbird 1804-SAM-PRS with 10VAN nozzles @ 8.67 GPM. Part Sun
    Zone 3: Rainbird 1804-PRS with 4VAN nozzles @ 3.28 GPM. Full Sun
    Zone 4: Rainbird 1804-SAM-PRS with 8VAN nozzles @ 3.57 GPM. Full Sun

I have not selected the valves yet, but proposed locations are marked (circle with an X).

I'm using 1" SCH40 PVC for my mainline (dark green) and 3/4 Class 200 or Sch40 (not sure which yet) for my laterals.

After all of my calcs, I'm at approx. 35PSI at my furthest head (2-6).

My gut feeling is that the number of heads is high for this small lot. Can I make any reductions and not wet sidewalks/streets? I had sent off my plan to Rainbird and they recommended EST nozzles on the two narrow strips (to the S and the E). In general, I thought their plan wasn't very good.

Are the 1804 sprinkler bodies going to pop high enough for cool season grasses (fescue/rye/ky bg)? I noticed that they seem to be half the price of an 1806.

I was planning on digging trenches or slitting by hand because my lot is so small.

What do we think?

Attached Files:

8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Without going through anything other then to what zone 1 reads :)

Right off the bat, Get rid of those vans! They have a Low DU ( Distribution Uniformity) and a high GPM usage. Use fixed nozzles, some here will say to use brass nozzles instead of plastic. Or use MPR rotator nozzles

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Don't use the VANs if possible. Used the fixed arc nozzles if you can. You won't regret it. VANs use a lot more water than the fixed nozzles, no matter what the charts say. And they clog easily.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto Dana. Print a paper chart to scale and take a compass to make sure you have "head-to-head" coverage. The lower area is going to stress on both sides unless heads and zones are added to provide "fill-in" coverage. By the way, all "factory" designs I've ever seen that someone, be it contractor or HO, installed made me a ton of money after a season when the plants and turf either flooded and died or stressed and died. payup

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011