DIY Lawn treatment?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tntlr, Oct 20, 2007.

1. tntlr

tntlr LawnSite Member

I own a small residential lawn & landscape maintenance business in West Tennessee. I have a few customers who insist on do-it-yourself fertilization and weed control. Needless to say, they usually do OK in the fertilization department and almost as well with post-emergent applications. But they almost almost always fail with the pre-emergent applications. So I end up with Spring weeds clogging up my mower deck till the heat kicks in and kills them. I have tactfully tried to get these few folks to just hire a professional for their lawn treatment, but they take pride in doing it themselves... or something like that. Hopefully, someday soon, after considering the time, material cost, scheduling, and storage involved in DIY lawn treatment, they'll realize that the cost of a professional is easily justifiable. Untill then...
    What's the best Weekend Warrior (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) pre-emergent that I can urge the DIYers to apply this Fall/Winter to save me the headache of digging Annual Bluegrass and its buddies out of my mower deck chute every other pass next Spring?

2. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

None, if they will not listen, then it will not get through.

3. tntlr

tntlr LawnSite Member

They'll take my advice for their DIY lawn treatment, but they haven't yet come around to hiring it out professionally.

"None" is not a helpful reply. If I didn't think it would get through, I wouldn't bother.

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

The Home Depot sells Lesco brand fert with Dimension. It is marked up to retail and by the time they buy it, pay themselves minimum wage for their time, and gas to and fro, they could have spent the same money to have a pro do it. That being said, there is no substitute for the pride they might feel doing their own...or so I'm told.

5. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Then I would suggest a pre emergent that you are familuar with in your area that will control the type of weed you are experiencing. If it is like you say they will fallow your suggestions then why don't you get your license and do your self? I know, I know they want to do it them selves. Then respectfully, If your having so much trouble with them, then why not charge more for your efforts. Maybe, if they find your rate increase because of more than heaver weed infestation equal more labor in your part then- this may induce hiring a professional, problem solved.

6. tntlr

tntlr LawnSite Member

Tscape, thanks for your response.

wi Roots, I'm quite satisfied with my business model as is. I have a reliable professional assosiate whom I refer for fert/weed-control. As I mentioned in the original post, these few homowners like to do it themselves (at least for now). If you don't have an answer to my question, fine, but I'm not looking to milk my customers for more money. I just want a smooth, predictable maintenance schedule. Thank you.