Diy leaf loader

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by sms8921, Oct 23, 2010.

1. sms8921

sms8921 LawnSite Member

Hi guys, Im not sure if someone has already posted about this or not...I consider myself a small operation, I man only me. Like many others on this site the convenience of a leaf loader makes some of us drool with envy but the price tag turns your stomach!! Well today I decided to pull double duty on one of my machines.

I recently purchased a walk behind leaf blower from home depot. New deal if you get a card there it is no interest for 12mo. pretty sweet! (I no its not a billy goat or anything name brand but it does and excellent job.) I have many customers wanting their leaves removed and for me my main mower is a JD 48" walk behind mower with a side bagger that isnt the funnest thing to empty 50 times while doing leaves.

So...I went back to home depot got some sheet metal and built a 6" adapter of the intake of the wb blower. I then reduced that to 4" and connected a 10' piece of flexible pipe on that. Then I put another 6 to 4 reducer on the port that blows the air out, with a 10' flexible pipe on that end too. Some of you will probably laugh at me and say it is a ticking time bomb but I did many tests and this machine has very high suction and will pull just about anything in and spit it out. I built this machine for all under 450 dollars.
    So guys after your done blowing the yard put on your two attachment pipes and load your truck or trailer!!!! I am a diy-er and I no you other diy-ers will appreciate this. Pics to follow it is raining here dont have a garage to take the pic in. Thanks

2. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to see these pics!

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I would also like to see pics. Sounds like a good idea for a small solo operation while watching your expenses.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

So you did impact tests and all of that good stuff? It is a ticking time bomb and I can't think of many things that are much more hazardous than what you're doing. There are blowers with impellers that are built to take this kind of abuse. Your little Chinese blower isn't even close.

5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Those Chinese blowers nowadays have impellers made of high density plastic. The downside? They do not show up in an x-ray...

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i sure wouldn't trust a blower motor as a suction devise. a blower motor and a vacuum motor might be the same thing for all i know but thats just it, i don't know. i wouldn't think the impellars on a blower would work well for sucking up and shredding leaves. certainly not like my trac vac does.

not to mention the attachments don't seem safe either.

i suppose it depends on how small of an operation you are and what type of properties you are doing.

all i use to do leaves on most properties is my 52" grandstand and a side bagger. i empty the bagger 3 times at most. i use the trac vac 2 times a week. it's hooked to my 36" wb for a few backyards i can't get the 52" in.

just put the catcher on your jd and start mowing. leave it on until you've made one pass over everything, empty the bagger and you should be able to get everything else on the second pass. sometimes it takes a third pass if the leaves are thick.

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I started doing this earlier this month as per your advice a few months ago, and wow, what a difference. I don't have to unload the catcher 4621 times every lawn anymore.

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

it really works nice i think......

its made me wish i never purchased that trac vac. so far this year i just use it in the few backyards i have and i maintain my neighborhood common areas and they don't have grass to mow just mulch beds so i blow the leaves into piles and suck them up with the trac vac alone.

9. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

blower and vac (or loaders) impellers are different
    pict: take a guess: which one for blow (air), which for sucking, choing and spitting (blowing) debrees with minimal clogg-in ?...

impeller bg.jpg

impell bg feature_impeller.jpg

leaf load impell.jpg

10. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

anyway, show some pics